Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

need help here, finding the right reciever for my plane

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

need help here, finding the right reciever for my plane

Old 11-24-2006, 10:44 PM
morespeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help here, finding the right reciever for my plane

got an edge 540 with 45'' wing span balsa wood. i have a 8UAF transmitter coming and can't decide on which reciever to buy that will work best for this plane. would like a fatuba 6 or 8 ch.
lots of them say for park flyer or slow planes. and most of them are micro. do i go micro or standard? which one has the best range? transmitter i think is on 33 and it's a 72MHZ. I'll be running a 5S LI-PO 4000 and 80AMP speedcontroller with this plane.

i'm open for opions here.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help here, finding the right reciever for my plane

The standard 8 channel Fut. should be fine. The minis are fine for the smaller planes where weight makes a big difference. The Fut. would have the best range too. Check to see how many servos the ESC can support. I had to use a separate UBEC to handle five servos. The one I bought will handle eight. I mentioned the 8 over the 7 channel in case you have to do some mixing. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:43 PM
morespeed

thanks fly,
whats the difference between high and low band. i know, stupid question.
do they both have the same distance in range, i've read alot were people like the pcm over ppm and fm. the one i'm looking at is the 146ip 6ch pcm 72 mhz or the 138dp 8ch pcm 72mhz. my new plane only cals for a 4 ch, just thought i would 6 or 8 for future use.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Flypaper 2

I'm not to up on the electronics end of things but as I understand it, you could liken it to a sine wave. Futaba and others are using the upper half, JR and others use the lower half. Both would have the same range. Just a case of neither side wanting to co-operate with the other to standardize things. PCM is not worth the hassles for these planes. Range is the same too. Wouldn't cost that much more for the higher # of channels and they're there if you need them. Have fun.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 PM
pilotpete2

Futaba receivers are sold as "high" or "low" band, low band are for use on ch 11-35 and high band is for ch 36 -60. This is peculiarity to Futaba receivers, what Flypaper was refering to is negative /positve shift, since you are considering a futaba transmitter on 72Mhz this is very important, as Futaba and Hitec uses negative shift and JR and Airtronics use positive shift. A positive shift receiver will not work with a negative shift transmitter, now the good news is that all the new Hitec receivers are being made with autoshift, the receiver detects the shift and works with any FM transmitter, only the Electron 6 model has to be bought in the shift you require, I would consider getting the new Hitec Supreme 8 which is an auto shift model, this way you are not locked into "Futaba", as you are buying a used transmitter, down the road you may decide to go with a JR radio, your receivers will still work.

Now as to PCM, this is an area that comes down to opinions, everybody has one, but you asked, so here's my 2 cents, for the average sports flyer, and particularly the park flyer scene, PCM has little value, also That 8UAF is an older model, with PCM receivers many of the new receivers are not backwards compatible with older transmitters and also you are locked into using only the same brand of receiver as the transmitter, no compatibility at all between brands with PCM.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 11-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Fliprob17

The Futaba stuff seems to have a low range 900ft max. I believe. While the HiTec Electron 6 is good for a mile plus. I have a Futaba 6 channel 156F is my Cessna which only has a 650ft range, but went with the Hitec Electron 6 in my Mini Pulse for much better range. Plus it is a dual conversion setup.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Flypaper 2

Don't know what recievers you're using but Futaba transmitters have a mile + range too.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:10 PM
morespeed

thanks everybody, should have asked this before i bought that transmitter. hopefully i didn't make to bad of a choice.
flip, will the electron 156f work with the 8uaf. in the meantime let me reread about that backwards things again, lost me on that one.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
morespeed

fly,
if the transmitter is a mile, and reciever is like 650ft. does this mean what? how far before
plane says goodbye seeya later, on my own....
Old 11-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Flypaper 2

The 650 ft. range rcvr. is either for indoors or a poor quality single conversion one. What make is the rcvr. and I'll look it up. If you want a good quality rcvr for the smaller stuff but good range, check out the Berg line at Castle Creations website. Most of my rcvrs are FMA but now I'm using the Spektrum radio. The range on it is 2000. ft.
By the way the FMA rcvrs. are automatic shift.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
morespeed

2000 ft, ya i like that now.
i'll be stuck with the 8UAF. since i just bought it.

thanks, fly
in the end i know i'll pick the wrong reciever and what goes up, must come down.
heck, it's only money.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Don't know what recievers you're using but Futaba transmitters have a mile + range too.
Yes, the Futaba TX's have a 1 + mile range, but the Micro Rx's do not. That is what i was saying, the Futaba Receivers do not have the range that say a Hitec Electron 6 has.

fly,
if the transmitter is a mile, and reciever is like 650ft. does this mean what? how far before
plane says goodbye seeya later, on my own....
I have the Futaba R156F and it is rated at 650 ft., I have had it past that, probably closer to 800ft and have not had a problem yet. You are usually limited by the receiver.

The 650 ft. range rcvr. is either for indoors or a poor quality single conversion one.
It is a Mirco, single conversion Park Flyer. And it is Futaba, not poor quality, poor range.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Flypaper 2

8uaf is a good mile + full range transmitter. You just need a good reciever to go with it.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 PM
morespeed

hey, rob, pete and paper
you guys been great, good advice, thanks

got one for ya, what do you think will happen when i fly this plane......this should be interesting.

i got this plane from raidentech and it's gas or electric conversion. i'm going electric. it's the
zivko 540 with 45'' wingspan all balsa wood. well i got the 46BL outrunner e-flite motor and gonna run a 80A speedcontroller with a 5S 4000 LI-PO, PROP size not sure yet.

ya, it's scary but i'm willing to see what happens. just hope motor,battery and electronics live through it.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Flypaper 2

Something along the lines of what I'm flying now. Hangar 9 Twist with a Himax 50 motor, CC 60 amp ESC, 3000 ma li-ion 5 cell but I added a cell for a little more poop. I'd get a full range reciever for that plane. Any name brand matching dual conversion reciever would be fine.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
morespeed

fly,
what servo's are you useing, standard or micro.
i just looked up castle creations speedcontrollers and they list micro servo's .
my plane never mentioned what size to use with it. i don't think micro's will work in this plane.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Flypaper 2

I'm using the standard, not the mini's in planes that size. The reason is, the little ones don't have the torque for surfaces that size and the loads put on them. Also I'm using four servos so I use a separate UBEC to drive the servos. Not nice when the ESC craps out when it overheats from running four servos when it calls for no more than three. Lost a plane because of that. The ESC shut off for about five seconds till it cooled down enough to turn back on. Then you have to pull the throttle all the way back to rearm it. By then the poor little GWS Tiger Moth was a layer of popcorn The UBEC I use will handle up to eight servos. It's called the Hercules made by Western Robotics. It's also switchable to 6 volts from 5 for more servo power if you need it. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
morespeed

fly,
do you know of any speedcontroller's that will handle 4servo's .
i've been looking at castle creations. 80amps. can't remember if there micro's or not. aslo what prop brand name and size should i be looking for with the 46bl motor
Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 PM
morespeed

well that blows, i was gonna run at least the 14.8v 5s and castle creations 80amp speedcontrollers only go to 14.4v.
think this plane is starting to look like POPCORN
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Fliprob17

You might want to take a look at their specs. again. http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-80.html It says 25.2 volts w/ no BEC, and a 6 cell max for LiPo's w/ no BEC

Here a a couple others worth looking at.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNHA0&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYN8&P=0
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Fliprob17

If you went with the Castle 80 amp, based on their specs., you would need to turn the BEC off and use the little battery pack for the reciever to power the receiver and servos. On a plane that big it might not make that much of a difference. I could swear that I have seen post of guys using that 80amp with the BEC and 4 cell LiPo's, which puts the volts around 14.8. A 5S LiPo would be around 18.5 volts wouldn't it.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
morespeed

thanks flip,
your right, just looked at it.
dang, looks like my choice's are getting very slim on not useing a speedcontroller w/out bec.
this plane is starting to be a pain, [:@]
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 PM
morespeed

yes your right with the 5s 18.5. sorry. i had 14.8 on the brain.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Flypaper 2

I'm using a CC 60 amp controller on 6 cells, 24 volts, using a separate bec called a UBEC, sort of a heavy duty BEC. You disconnect the bec from the receiver by pulling the red wire from the connector that plugs into the throttle channel. The UBEC is wired into the batt. connector and the voltage is dropped down to either 5 or 6 volts, your choice, then plugs into any open channel in the receiver to supply power, or you can use a separate batt. as Fliprob says. With my pooped out memory I'd forget to charge it.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
morespeed

well, i do have the F-27C Stryker. i'll just blast that thing around in the air till i get this plane going. sure would like to see this plane fly? or crash[X(]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.