Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What gear drive to buy?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:22 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gear drive to buy?

Howdy folks,

Need some advice here . . .

Facts:
- Need to replace my gear box and pinion gear after inverted crash yesterday at 3 feet off the ground
- Here's what I am running in my 14-15 oz foamie "Potensky Eagle": brushed Speed 300 geared 5:1 using a 10x4.7 folding prop / 7 cell NIMH 730 MaH / Great Planes C-12 ESC

I read a review by Greg Covey, which stated he crashed and replaced the gear drive with a GWS EPS-300C (CS) 5.33:1 geared Speed 300 motor and an 11x8 prop with stock set up.

QUESTION:
I would like to spend no more that $20 on a new gearbox and prop, but I am wondering if I should avoid a plastic gearbox and shoot for a light weight metal one that can take more abuse. Also, I want to get the max thrust out of my plane with the set up I have; therefore I wonder if the larger slow flyer prop at 11x8 is better -- it would be a slowflyer prop right? Should I be worried about weight on one of these metal gearboxes?

I came across this "Fox XL Alloy Flange Combination Motor Mount /Gearbox Frame / and Heat Sink"
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=87&

I don't have the finances to throw a li-po in there yet and I am building a new plane with brushless set up. My Potensky Eagle is my trainer so to speak.

With my set-up what gearbox (I will reuse my motor) and prop (I am not married to folding) do you recommend?

Jeremy
Old 11-26-2006, 12:51 PM
JeremySutton

Default RE: What gear drive to buy?

By the way I have a credit to Whole Sale Trains & wondered if any of these may work:

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Searc...it2=++Search++

Jeremy
Old 12-15-2006, 06:58 AM
East RC

Hobby Lobby has a MJ8043 5:1 Gearbox for 300 with a Ballbearing ..... $ 15.90

You would need a 3mm prop shaft adapter for that gear box.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:38 AM
highflyer65

I would go with the GWS gear box they use on the SS it comes with or without the motor .You can get it with the 350 motor for around 15.95 from www.advantagehobby.com with free shipping.It's a step up in power from your 300 motor.The reason I would go with GWS is you can get replacement parts almost anywhere at a good price.Try a 1147 or 1180 GWS SF prop if you go with the 350 it should swing the 1180 with no problem.PS. this gear box uses a stick mount 10mm by 10mm or 3/8 by 3/8
Old 12-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Dr Kiwi

I'm with scalefreak - the MP jet box is a step up, and far more crash resistant. Yes, you can get a metal Cobri box but it weighs (and costs) a lot more and is really suited to higher powered systems than yours.