Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Best Brushless motor for Parkzone FW190.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Lilpilot13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brushless motor for Parkzone FW190.

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if anybody new a great brushless motor that will pretty much double my flight time rather than make it go faster. Well, I would still like a boodt in speed, but not that much of a boost.[8D]

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Best Brushless motor for Parkzone FW190.

It will be hard, if not impossible to double your flight time and give you more power/speed. More power/speed generally means more amps, which means the battery drains quicker, which means lower flight times. Now, some brushless motors, maybe all, are more efficient than brushed motors, so you get a little more bang for you battery, but you most likely will not double your flight times. What battery are you using? Do you know what the flying weight, with battery, of the plane is?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Lilpilot13

Well, I have a Focke Wulf 190, I'm going to get a Lipo battery soon for christmas maybe. It weighs 29 oz with the stock battery, so probably lighter with the lipo.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
critterhunter

I'd look into a Tower Pro 2409-12 or 2409-18 brushless bell outrunner. The 2409-18 will swing a bigger prop up to about 10" versus 8 or 9 for the 12T but have less speed. It's a lower k/v motor and so will be much more efficient (around 10 amps) than the 12T, but the 12T will have real good torque and all the speed you'd ever want...probably more than you'd want for the plane. 18T probably is a good choice, but either one...or even a 2408-21 should work well. You won't need a gear box either since they are bell outrunners. Not sure if they'll fit in that thing but they should. These motors along with a 30 amp speed control are under $40 bought as a combo deal from aero-nuts.com or RCHotdeals.com. The motors alone are under $15. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like the feeling of paying anything over $20 or so for a brushless motor based on a name. The 12T is a Mega beater at about 1/5th the price. As for lipos, pick up the Hextronicks $32 3 cell 2200ma 20C packs. I'm on a mission to get the word out that lipos, speed control, or brushless motor should not cost an arm and a leg. Enough people have made enough money off people who don't know there are cheaper alternatives.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Fliprob17

Personally, I don't get to fly as much as I would like to, so when I do I want the equipment to be to it's full potential. So I don't mind spending the extra $10-$15 on the motor, esc or battery to have the reassurance that is has been field tested by people for several years. There are 4 bazillion little companies popping up now selling brushles motors, lipo's, etc....I like having a name and history behind the product. I really like the E-Flite stuff, but have found that the Great Planes stuff is on the same level and you save a little $$. Here is the motor I would take a look at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT6&P=0 You can run 10", 11" or 12" props.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
critterhunter

The way I look at it Tower Pro motors are so cheap you can buy 4 or 5 for the price of a "brand name" and get just as good if not better performance. At that price you can change'em like underware...once a month.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Fliprob17

That's great

Hey, I have some Thunder Power LiPo's I am using, but I am curious about the Hextronik packs, a couple of people have recommended them now. Since I have the Thunder Power to fall back on if the Hextronik has any problems, I was considering trying one. For $35, if you get 6 months out of it, it is worth it But I can't seem to find anywhere in the USA, online, that sells them. Do you know of anyone??
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Lilpilot13

Thanks for your help! I really appreciat it!

Lilpilot13
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM
critterhunter

Go to this thread in the E-Flite Power sources forum...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4771053/tm.htm

You don't need a balancer but it does help maintain the life and performance of a pack. All covered, complete with the link for the cheap packs, in that thread. If you look on that website they have pretty good prices on RXs and such as well for those looking for that sort of stuff.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Fliprob17

Unitedhobbies.com seems to be the only place that sells the Hextronik packs. But they are in Japan. I am trying to find someone in the states.

I use the blinky for my Thunder Power packs, I always balance after every flight and during every charge.