Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Amp draw of brushed 600

Old 12-24-2006, 03:19 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp draw of brushed 600

Does anyone know how many amps a 600 size motor with a 5x5 prop will draw? I've read anywhere from 17A to 28A. Can I use this motor with a 20A ESC or will I fry it?

Thanks

PS: Sorry, I accidentaly put this post in the wrong forum at first..I clicked on the forum below before I realized it was battery questions only...oops.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Amp draw of brushed 600

Since there are so many different types of Speed 600 motors, it is difficult to answer your question about current draw with a 5x5 prop.

First, you really need to find the specs on your motor so you know what it can handle. Second, you should have a wattmeter to put in-line with the battery so you can actually measure the current at full throttle.

Alternatively, since the cost of these components is usually quite low, just try it and see how it works for you. Some of my best fun in electric flight was experimenting with parts like these about 10 years ago.

A 20-amp ESC will usually be fine for a Speed 600 motor if you keep it cool with proper air flow.

Good luck!