Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

help please

Old 12-24-2006, 06:53 PM
sj3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

I have a maxi 12 brushless (400 size) motor that is not working smoothly when it runs. Everything worked fine before a crash. The motor spins freely and looks fine when it is not on, but when I turn it on, then for a fraction of a second it turns the wrong way and then goes the correct way. Maybe a speed control problem, is there an adjustment on speed controls? I have a 30 amp speed control, but it didn't come with instructions (purchased from dymond model sport). I thought the shaft on the motor was bent; I put a new one in, and it has the same problem. It was a nose crash from about 15 feet, not a big impact. Its was just a small 3d foamy.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:36 AM
jdetray

Default RE: help please

Check for one or more loose magnets. A loose magnet may not be real obvious, since it won't fall out of the motor. Take a non-magnetic tool such as a toothpick and see if you can move any of the magnets.

Also check for bad connections, broken wires, and shorts.

- Jeff
Old 12-25-2006, 04:23 PM
sj3

I checked the magnets, and they all look fine; none of them move. All the wires are also fine; I think it's most likely the esc since the motor spins fine in mid rpms. There are no shorts because none of the wires get hot. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:50 PM
OCR99
My Feedback: (3)

SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SINGLE PHASING ONE CONNECTION MAY BE LOOSE OR ONLY TWO LEGS FROM ESC ARE WORKING ONCE A MOTOR STARTS IT WILL RUN ON TWO PHASES.
RICK
Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 PM
sj3

I ended up buying a hacker 20 20l.