Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Help on How to connect a battery to a ESC then to receiver?

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help on How to connect a battery to a ESC then to receiver?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 PM
dpsa98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on How to connect a battery to a ESC then to receiver?

I am putting together my first flat foamy electric plane myslef and I need a little help with the electronics. I HAD[&o] a Hacker A20 - 22 Motor with the X-20 ESC and I soldered all of the connections together and tried to put everything together when I connected my battery to the esc a spark shot out of my esc and into my hand giving me a few nice black burns..... Needles to say my ESC was shot. I had my battery checked and it is fine. I ordered a new ESC Castle Creations Phoenix 25. Ohhh I almost forgot to tell you the reason for the spark ( I soldered the ESC battery leads backwards making a positive to negative connection to the battery......OUCH that hurt.....

Anyway I would really appreciate some detailed info on how to run the esc to the receiver along with the servos? I guess my main question is when I connect the esc to the receiver do I put the esc plug into the battery slot on the receiver or do I put it into the throtle slot in the receiver? Do I need to add a power switch anywhere on the plane with the esc or does it just power up when I plug in the battery?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated , ESC's are expensive
Old 12-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Help on How to connect a battery to a ESC then to receiver?

ORIGINAL: dpsa98

Anyway I would really appreciate some detailed info on how to run the esc to the receiver along with the servos? I guess my main question is when I connect the esc to the receiver do I put the esc plug into the battery slot on the receiver or do I put it into the throtle slot in the receiver? Do I need to add a power switch anywhere on the plane with the esc or does it just power up when I plug in the battery?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated , ESC's are expensive
The ESC will plug into the throttle channel on your receiver, most likely channel 3. You will most likely not need to plug a receiver battery into the battery slot, your ESC/flight battery will provide the power necessary for the receiver and servos to function. The aileron servo goes into channel 1, the elevator servo into channel 2 and the rudder servo into channel 4. It will just power up when you plug in the battery.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
dpsa98

Thank you , Im going to try and put it together this weekend. I am waiting for this plane to come in the mail. It should be here in a day or two and I can fly it over the New Years weekend ....Darrol Cady Edge 540

Thanks Again
Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 AM
ORION49

I am guessing that it would be alright to install a switch harnace between them.