Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Gear troubles

Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
NZ Private

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear troubles

Hey guys

My one and only plane has been grounded all year because of a broken tooth in my 5:1 gear set up. I have looked for new parts but because i live in New Zealand this is very difficult and have as a result not been able to fix it. I can get the actual plastic gear but because I dont know how to attach it to the shaft or take the broken one off i cannot fix it.

Would someone please give me advice on how to get the old gear off and put the new one on etc. or any advice on what i should do?

Thanks

A.W,
New Zealand

Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: Gear troubles

NZ:
You have to help us out with a little more info. on the brand and such. Way too many different gearboxes out there!!!!
Bob
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
jdetray

As Bob says, it would be extremely helpful if you would provide as much info about the gearbox as possible. Any chance of including a photo?

I assume you have carefully examined the broken gear and determined that there is no grub screw or set screw securing it to the shaft. You've done this, correct?

The plastic gear may simply be a press fit on the shaft. When you remove the broken gear, you may see that a small section of the shaft is knurled to keep the gear from slipping.

Try this: Remove the shaft and broken gear from the gearbox. Support the hub of the broken gear and gently tap the shaft to try to slide the shaft out of the gear. As long as you are careful not to bend the shaft, this is worth a try. If you damage the already broken gear, you have not lost anything.

If the shaft doesn't come out of the gear when you tap it, it may be secured to the shaft by another means. This method works only for gears that are a press fit on a knurled section of the shaft.

If the shaft comes out, you can then install the new gear in the same way. Push the new gear onto the shaft up to the point of the knurling, then support the hub of the gear and tap the shaft to press its knurled portion into the hub.

- Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: NZ Private

Hey guys

My one and only plane has been grounded all year because of a broken tooth in my 5:1 gear set up. I have looked for new parts but because i live in New Zealand this is very difficult and have as a result not been able to fix it. I can get the actual plastic gear but because I dont know how to attach it to the shaft or take the broken one off i cannot fix it.

Would someone please give me advice on how to get the old gear off and put the new one on etc. or any advice on what i should do?

Thanks

A.W,
New Zealand

Hey fellow Kiwi - As everyone else has said, let us know what sort of motor and gearbox you have. Even Godzone must have internet access so that you can get a replacement from some on-line supplier like www.aircraft-world.com in Japan. US$2.50 shipping - I guess less to NZ.

Should be a case of "No worries, mate!"

Cheers, Phil