Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electric motor for 60 size F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 AM
RTharp35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric motor for 60 size F4U Corsair

I have a 60 size gas F4U Corsair, and I want to use electric motors for it instead of gas or nitro. The wing span is 65 1/2" and it will weigh roughly 5 to 7 lbs when finished. I have no idea what size motor and esc to put in it to give it enough power to do the job. I would like to get a motor one size bigger then it should have. Does anyone know where to get it and whom to purchase it from? Or better ideas to get this bird off the ground???
Old 01-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Electric motor for 60 size F4U Corsair

Go with the E-flite system from Horizon Hobbies. Their power 60 should be plenty big enough. If you wanna be totally crazy they've got a couple of bigger ones.
WT
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
RTharp35

Thanks. I will look at it. What about an esc to go with it?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Walt Thyng

Castle Creations ESCs are the "In" thing right now. They are fully programmable (with the Castle Link), bullet proof and have excellent suppport. The E-flite ESCs are getting good reports on the net. They are more plug and play than the CCs. Don't thinkl you could go wrong with either.
WT
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
RTharp35

Castle Link? How is all that programable? I will get a good look at all of this when I get most of the plane finished. I am still building it and will need to know about room and weight in the future.. I may fiber glass it instead of monokote, since I won't be using a heavy gas engine. That will balance out the wight......Oh and when I clicked on the link fo the castle creations, it asked me did I want to mark that word to pay for or get paid to use that word???? I did look at that power 60. Looks good. I hope it will be strong enough. I want to put a 4 or 3 blade prop on this baby. And try to keep it close to original.........
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
RTharp35

Oh and I was also going to ask. What size lipo do you think would work best for this motor......http://www.modelflight.com.au/eflite..._outrunner.htm
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Walt Thyng

sorry to be so slow getting back, but got busy at work.

You'd do well to buy one of the performance cpredictors like E-calc or Motorcalc or go to the DMA site and use their free one. Also thereis a freeware download for Drive Calc on RCU.

Go with the high side of whatever E-flight tells you for LiPos.

I don't quite understand the response you got at Castle Creation site. something's screwy. The Castle Link is a USB cable and program that lets you program your ESC on your PC

You wouldn't go wrong using a complete E-flite package, just don't go for the minimum. The E-flite Power 60 is a very strong motor.
Walt
Old 02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
RTharp35

I have never been to the DMA site. What is the address? I also did a search for the drive calc on RC and didn't find anything. If you have the link It would be great....... Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Walt Thyng

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/D-calc/

Here's the link for Drive Calc. I think DMA's url is iflydma.com (it's Diversity Model Aviation)

See if you can get a copy of the February issue of Quiet Flyer. They have a conversion article on the Hangar 9 P-47. It would be very helpful to your project. If you can't find one (try your LHS. I know most Hobbytown USAs carry them) let me know and I will send you a photoccopy.
Walt
Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

I'm an AXI motor fan, and for that plane I would suggest an AXI 4120 or 4130, and 5S to 6S Lipo packs. That should give you plenty of performance.

I do have think your estimate of coming out lighter because of the heavier gas motor is a falacy. Granted there is some saving in weight when just the motor is considered, but with the higher performance motors, you are going to add weight due to the need for higher MAH batteries.

A plane this size will be drawing in the range of 60-80 AMPS requiring some pretty strong Li-Po's. Even figuring that a 10 ounce fuel tank filled for flight, you still will come out a bit heavier than the wet fueled counterpart.

I've been doing these conversions for years, and have always had the plane come in a few ounces heavier than the instructions give.

I recently purchased an Eagletree Flight data recorder, and don't know how I got by for so long without it. It has given me so much valuable information that allows choosing the right battery, prop and motor for my planes. I have found that I have been over propping on some planes, and more important, had too big a motor and battery on a couple of others. The adjustments and changes have taken a couple of my birds to new heights of performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38875.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	612161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20907.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	612162   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26640.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	612163   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55021.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	612164  
Old 02-03-2007, 09:44 AM
RTharp35

Wow!!! Lots of information... Thanks. This is what I like about RCU. Everyone helps out. With all of this info. I can now get back to the build. This helps set aside time to configure where everything will fit and what size and weight all will be. I am going to fiberglass this plane for several reasons. One, because of the gull wing. Love the design, but want it to be moredurable. And becasue I want to paint it myself. And always of course. In case of the big bad crash....LOL.........I have looked at several diff. models of this kind and all look great. I just haven't nade up my mind yet if I am going to stay traditinal with the wwll scheme or just improvise............Time will telllllllllll..........
Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Walt Thyng

If you want something really different try Race #1 Super Corsair in Bud Light livery.
Walt
Old 02-03-2007, 07:59 PM
RTharp35

Please explain.......... Where do I find this scheme? Sounds good,,, and worth looking for. But to be honest, I am not familiar with all of the terms you speak of Walt. I just need some places to look at these colors and models as well as talk to builders that have tried diferent ideas.........
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Walt Thyng

There's a book called "Round Engine Racers" It has the complete scheme. You could also do a google searchj on thge National Air Races. Unfortunately I lost all my photos of mine in a computer crash.
Walt