Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

6 bladed prop

Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM
peterpont
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 bladed prop

Anyone making a custom prop for a 8X6 6 blade prop? Any one tryed any size for 6 blades? Anyone care to chat about it besides telling me that it won't work!
Thanks for your responses
peterpont
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Greg Covey

Default RE: 6 bladed prop

Typically, a 6-blade prop is only used for boats or submarines, not aircraft. A 6-blade prop will work for aircraft but it is no very efficient. A 3-blade prop is the most commonly used in aircraft and it is not as efficient as a 2-blade prop. The P-51 warbirds used a 4-blade prop but these are not common in R/C.

Is there a scale reason why you need a 6-blade prop?

Welcome to RC Universe!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Believe it or not, the ideal solution is a one-bladed prop [X(]

Because the single blade is not following in the turbulent wake of the other blade (like a snake eating its own tail), it's the most efficient. The obvious shortfall is in balancing the single blade. That's why two-bladed props are overall the best mix of technical simplicity and efficiency.

More blades are added in the full-scale world to make use of the horsepower from the engine without having excessively long landing gear. If landing gear length wasn't a consideration, you'd never see more than two blades on a full-scale propeller.

Now, for a six-blade, you could combine two three-blades together on a common prop shaft if your prop adapter has enough threaded area. Keep in mind that the six-blade should draw approximately twice as many Amps as a 3-blade of the same pitch, but won't produce nearly twice the thrust.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
peterpont
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

Typically, a 6-blade prop is only used for boats or submarines, not aircraft. A 6-blade prop will work for aircraft but it is no very efficient. A 3-blade prop is the most commonly used in aircraft and it is not as efficient as a 2-blade prop. The P-51 warbirds used a 4-blade prop but these are not common in R/C.

Is there a scale reason why you need a 6-blade prop?

Welcome to RC Universe!
Yes,Greg, there is a reason. I want it to look original in appearance as well has in function. Much noise has been made about how poorly it would function, but at RC Universe, posted under 6 blade prop, we found a different response. I was hoping this forum would add to the information found there. Please check it out if you are open to new ideas and concepts.
regards: Peter
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 AM
packyj

I'm not so sure about new ideas and concepts as the idea of more props = more prop wash has been around since nearly the inception of propellers on airplanes. If you're flying a scale plane the added props from 2 to 3 or 4 blades probably won't affect the performance enough for the scale fanatics to care so much as long as it looks right on the ground. But those looking to get performance out of their birds usually will always try to avoid putting more blades than necessary through the air.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
cyclops2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only plane I recall with 5 & 6 blades were the last MK's of the Supermarine Spitfires assigned to aircraft carriers. For deck clearence. Talk about torque roll on takeoff !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Charles Benner

Peterpont; Check out http://www.bluswede.com/Models.html for 5&6 blade props or Vario props http://www.e-flightline.com/varioprop.htm up to 4 blade. Good luck on your scale project.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:50 AM
Creative RC

Six blades is being used on full size planes such as the C130 and others. There is an e-flite cargo plane, EC-1500 that has 5 blades.

Last edited by Creative RC; 02-29-2020 at 09:53 AM.