Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Putting Magnets in my AXI

Old 06-20-2007, 01:44 AM
BeFlyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting Magnets in my AXI

I crashed my plane with a brand new AXI outrunner, forgot what size but it pulls over 40mA. So a couple of magnets in the outrunner broke and I bought 14 new to replace all the old. I got all the old out and the ourtunner clean and ready for the new magnets but I wonder if it makes a difference which way the magnets are installed. Do they just have to all be the same or does +/- have to be at one end or the other?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Putting Magnets in my AXI

The poles of motor magnets are not oriented with the ends of the magnets, but with the faces of the magnets. So it makes a difference which face of each magnet is facing the stator and the shaft.

Also, the pole facing the stator must alternate with each magnet. If magnet #1 has its North pole facing the stator, magnet #2 must have its South pole facing the stator. Magnet #3 must have North facing the stator, magnet #4 must have South facing the stator. The same pattern continues for all 14 magnets: N-S-N-S-N-S-N-S-N-S-N-S-N-S.

Your first step should be to stack all 14 magnets and mark the like faces. See the illustration below. The illustration shows only 12 magnets because that's how many some motors have.

Call the side of the magnet with the "X" on it the North pole. Now install the magnets with alternating poles facing inward toward the stator. If you do this properly, when you're finished, every second magnet will have its "X" visible. The other 7 megnets will have their "X" against the inside of the rotating can. When the magnets are all in their correct positions, wick CA or another adhesive of your choice around the magnets to hold them in place.

It will be difficult to get the magnets correctly oriented and equally spaced, because the magnets will try to repel each other. Good luck!

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14316.gif
Views:	7
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	708069  
Old 06-21-2007, 03:26 AM
BeFlyin

Default RE: Putting Magnets in my AXI

Wow, glad I asked. Thanks for the great info.

Frank