Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Fried my Eflite 40A ESC V2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Servowires

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried my Eflite 40A ESC V2

I've never fried an ESC before and I've been doing electric and gas flying for a while now. Plugged my Eflte Park 480 1020KV into the Eflite 40A ESC v2 along with a freshly charged TrueRC 3S 2100mAh 10C battery. RX is a Hitec Neutron 6S mini. Throttled up with an APC 12x6 on a Seagull Extra 300 and kabam . . . sparks fly on the ESC and a descent size hole melts through the ESC. I think I've given all the info I can. Any takers on what went wrong? Also, for what it's worth, I could not get my Tower Pro 30A ESC to function with this setup.

Barry
Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Fried my Eflite 40A ESC V2

So, you don't own a WattMeter, do you? My guess is that you do not, otherwise you would be able to tell us how many amps it was pulling just before it let the magic blue smoke out.
I'd guess there was something binding against the motor, causing the running amperage to be well over what you thought it should be. Get a WattMeter and you won't need to trust your luck next time. I own one of these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLMV1&P=7
Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Servowires

Yea I actually do have a Watt Meter (Watts Up) but I didn't have it connected. I was just trying to make sure the prop was rotating correctly. Can't change the rotation via the ESC on this one. You have to switch the wires. No binding was noted as the prop turned freely (for the 2-3 seconds I had it running.)

Barry
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
UH34D
My Feedback: (3)

Hi YogiBear:
The exact same thing happened to my 40A eflite esc[&o]. I was hooking battery up to check the rotation on my 480 outrunner and sparks,etc. I called Horizon about the problem and they sent me a new esc the same day. This is OUTstanding service in my opinion.
Just so you know. The Horizon phone lines are sometimes busy in the tech area. It took me a couple of calls to get hooked up. My purcchases from hangar 9 have been excellent products and Horizon really came thru on this. Just mho
Jim
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

I didn't have near as good of a responce from Horizon when my Eflite ESC blew up in the same way. I told the tech that I was taking off and there was a flash and the ESC smoked and the plane ran off the runway out of control. He stated that the ESC was not warranted with respect to crash damage. I explainned that the crash was due to the ESC failing and causing loss of control. He told me that no warranty was likely available but to send it in with a letter stating what happened. I did so and never received any reply.

THIS IS NOT OUTSTANDING SERVICE.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: pbunn

I didn't have near as good of a responce from Horizon when my Eflite ESC blew up in the same way. I told the tech that I was taking off and there was a flash and the ESC smoked and the plane ran off the runway out of control. He stated that the ESC was not warranted with respect to crash damage. I explainned that the crash was due to the ESC failing and causing loss of control. He told me that no warranty was likely available but to send it in with a letter stating what happened. I did so and never received any reply.

THIS IS NOT OUTSTANDING SERVICE.
don't mention that the ESC caused the crash, just state that when you went to take off the ESC went poof and failed to work. Don't want to confuse the guy, did it burn a hole in the plane body, light it on fire... personally if it is the ESC that fried and caused the crash, that is not crash damage, it was sitting and then it went poof, go figure