Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Tower pro 70 A esc instructions !

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower pro 70 A esc instructions !

Hi ,

Does anyone have this same esc? (see pic below)

This is my first EP conversion . Converting a Rascal40 to EP.Using a Towerpro power mosfet Mac8 70A ESC (says "no power output to Receiver"-meaning no bec), Brushless Outrunner OK-C4250 (3520) ,KV 600 rpm/v ,Both from unitedhobbies.
I am using existing nicad for Rx/servos.
I made my own 5s1p a123 pack from devault.

AND I know nothing about ESC programming!

I did the bench test with my setup, the ESC started to beep a lot and motor didnt move just vibrates a bit. ESC's instructions didnt make much sense as the english was messed up! I am tryin and researching what those options are (I have attached instructions ) Should I pick 5LIPO option for cell type and No.? What is meant by Brake set, timing mode and PWM settings?

I heard esc programming can be messy and there are several versions of the same TP ESCs....I didnt want to mess it up.
Is there a latest link that explains these in general , Or can some one tell me what options I need to select (when I figure how to decipher those beeps!) for this setup?!

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54804.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	847084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73731.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	847085  
Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Tower pro 70 A esc instructions !

Does anyone use this ESC:

Towerpro power mosfet Mac8 70A ESC (has no BEC)!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You'd have to try to get some info on your motor to determine what timing and PWM settings would be ideal. Set it for 5LIPO for a 5s pack. Braking refers to the amount of motor braking you get at low stick on the throttle. The harder the brake setting, the faster your prop will stop when you kill the throttle, and the harder it will resist prop rotation. If you have a belly landed plane, you probably want a relative hard brake setting to stop the prop quickly before landing, otherwise it probably doesn't matter much.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The motor should at least run and the default settings are generally close enough. All the settings do for the most part is make minor changes to the way the motor runs.

A constant, steady beep usually means ERROR. Do you have a Futaba transmitter? The throttle channel needs to be set to reverse to arm the ESC and get proper throttle control on Futaba.

The twitching is probably in time with the beeping right? That's because the ESC is using the motor as a speaker. Yep, the beeps are coming from the motor, not the ESC.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Matt,
Yes I have a Futaba transmitter and motor's twitching was synching with the beeping(the 1st attempt it wasnt steady and was numbered and varying) now I tried the 2nd time:

I read the instructions for the esc again (with its bad english!) and other posts about escs, I wanted to try and pgm myself, so I connected again.
NOW, the motor is working fine( it was in reverse so I had to change in radio). I guess the 1st time I must have accidently pgmed "something"..which am not sure. Motor sounds good, esc beeps 2 times when connected now (arms). Moved throttle up/down the speed is varied and looks good.

My fear is what if I had pgmed some higher values and options will I smoke something when flying? I have attached the instructions here and it has no way of going back to the Programming mode again! Motor instructions dont mention timing,PWM values either .

What do you guys recommend, shall I go ahead and just fly and see or do you have an idea how I can check what my options were (that I selected without knowing!) and/or going to program menu again? Will I open a can-o-worms if I try and pgm again?

Thanks