Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless 400 SMOKIN !!!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Oldude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless 400 SMOKIN !!!

I am having trouble with a E-Flite 4200KV brushless>>E-Flite 20amp sensorless ESC>> and three cell LI-PO 11.1V 15C combination.
I hook it all up and within a short time at full throttle, the motor and ESC get VERY HOT !!! I burned up one motor before I realized what was happening and got another very hot but saved...
What have I gotten myself into ????[&o]
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless 400 SMOKIN !!!

Olddude:

You gotta imballance in your system big and bad time. Go to your local shop or on line and order a wattmeeter, and borrow one from a but asp. When you hookup with wattmeeter to your systeem, between motor and battery connection, you are going to find (should) that you are pulling more amps than the motor and or controller are rated for. You may be able to fix by simply putting a lower pitch and or smaller prop on it. Unless you are into high speed performance stuff, your motor, speed control and battery should all only be just warm to the toutch. Otherwise the system is out of ballance. Never by a controller that barely makes design specks. If the motor is rated for20 amps, max, start with a 25-35 amp controller. You still have to prop the motor so that the prop is not pulling more amps that it is rated for. For a cumfort zone, does not hirt to run a prop 1/2 pitch or length less than called for. Yes, you can live without a amp meeter, but you are going to end up spending a lot of money, time and repairs than you need to. Sort of why we carry a rifle in back of the pickup. Those darned yankees can be anywhere. ENJOY
Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Brushless 400 SMOKIN !!!

What propsize Oldude? Use an e-flight calculator to get some idea about the current:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606703

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
• int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
• brushless motor building tips & tricks
• diy brushless motor discussion group
• Drive Calculator download & discussion group