Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

rimfire burned up after 20 sec maiden flight

Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rimfire burned up after 20 sec maiden flight

as the title says, my rimfire motor on it's maiden flight burned up after less than 20 seconds on 2/3 throttle.
before the motor completle cut off it was going on and off a few times by itself.
after i landed the motor hardly put out half the rpm with full throttle and smoke came out of it.
since then it doesn't do anything at all....

how can this happen? was it faulty?
can the esc be the problem?

now i'm afraid to put another motor on that esc ....
rimfire was a 22-1000 and the esc is a 20amp.

any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: rimfire burned up after 20 sec maiden flight

How much current was your setup pulling?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

How much current was your setup pulling?
i don't know i never tested this. (now i think i should....)
it has the v-pitch, setup is like a 9X6 or 7 prop.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Well, assuming you were on 3s, that 9x6 or 9x7 is going to draw waaaay over the recommended 11A max!

RECOMMENDED PROPS:

For 2-cell LiPo 10x3.8 10x4.7 11x3.8

For 3-cell LiPo 8x3.8 8x6 9x3.8
Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

Well, assuming you were on 3s, that 9x6 or 9x7 is going to draw waaaay over the recommended 11A max!

RECOMMENDED PROPS:

For 2-cell LiPo 10x3.8 10x4.7 11x3.8

For 3-cell LiPo 8x3.8 8x6 9x3.8
I'm pretty sure that the V-Pitch setup from Great Planes is designed for that motor. I doubt that it would draw significantly more amperage than recommended for that motor.

Does everything spin freely, no binding? If everything spins freely and is connected properly I would guess a defective speed control or motor (more likely motor).
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Read this RCU review of that V-Pitch setup:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=716

You have to watch your pitch settings/curves to be sure you don't over pitch it. The author made the same mistake initially, he over pitched it and was pulling 23A.

The best investment you can make, if you are getting into electrics, is to buy a Wattmeter. You need to know your current draw to be sure you're not going to fry your motor, ESC, or battery pack.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

Read this RCU review of that V-Pitch setup:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=716

You have to watch your pitch settings/curves to be sure you don't over pitch it. The author made the same mistake initially, he over pitched it and was pulling 23A.

The best investment you can make, if you are getting into electrics, is to buy a Wattmeter. You need to know your current draw to be sure you're not going to fry your motor, ESC, or battery pack.

too bad i hadn't read this earlier. it seems i over pitched it after all.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I had 2 rimfires and really didn't like them. They don't hold up as well compared to my Axis. Sometimes, my planes nose over and the motor hits the asphalt. The Rimfires hate it and burned out 2 of them from this wear and tear. My Axis still work fine. Also, I run my Axi during flights hard and it would run very warm, but be fine. The Rimfire just smoked itself during flight. The rimfires seem to be cheaper for a reason. In my opinion, they're just not built as well or have the durability. I've had other lower cost motors and they just can't handle the abuse compared to the higher cost motors. You can really abuse the good ones, but the cheaper ones just smoke in the air and you end up dead sticking the landing.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM

intersting that your motors burned up by tipping over,and from wear.
maybe the shaft bend and the magnets were touching the coils....

i replaced the rimfire with a tp motor and a fixed pitch prop i had in my toolbox,
but i really wanted to try that v-pitch out....that 20 seconds weren't long enough to do that,
and it seems there is no replacement motor to install the remaining but still good v-pitch ...
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I'm not saying that was the sole reason for the burnout. That was just one reason. During landing, the motor is still spinning at low rpms and if it tips, the prop will hit the ground and stop the motor while still being fed some juice. This seems to upset the Rimfire motor more than my Axi. In addition, I couldn't run my Rimfires on larger or higher pitched props or at or near full throttle without getting a lot of heat from them compared to my Axi motors. I'm just saying I could really abuse the Axi motors and couldn't do it with the Rimfires. And I learned it quickly with just a month of flying with both before they smoked out in the air. Well, at least the Rimfire turned into a smoke machine before it burned out, so it served another purpose.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Ya, i have to agree. Make the investment in getting a watt meter. You won't burn up your motors by over proping them. I have the rimfire 22m 1000kv and it works fine. You can run a 3cell pack behind it and a 9x3.4 and use a BL-12 controller. Will not pull more than 8 amps. Electrifly is a cheap alternative to say AXI, Hacker, Himax, etc. Go ahead and get that more "Expensive" motor. It'll save you money in the long run. While getting these cheaper motors and running them properly can have it's benifits, never cheap out on the speed control. IMO, Thats one of the 2 most important things to never cheap out on. The reciever is the other.
Think about it, if you esc takes a crap on ya, and your running the bec, you lost power.....