Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Program E-Flite 20 amp ESC

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program E-Flite 20 amp ESC

I’m running an E-Flite 20 amp ESC with a E-FLite 2 cell 800mah lipo and left the ESC with the default settings (see below). Also using E-Flite 250 brushless outrunner.
1. Does a 20 amp ESC have a different voltage cut-off than a 10 amp ESC?
2. Do I need to program it differently since I’m using a 2 cell and not a 3 cell?

The factory defaults are set to Auto Li-Po for voltage cutoff and brake off.

To change cutoff type or to turn the motor brake on or off follow this sequence:
1. Disconnect the battery from the ESC, and leave disconnected for at least 30 seconds to allow the ESC to reset. Turn your transmitter ON.
2. Move your throttle control on your transmitter to FUILL throttle.
3. Plug the battery into the ESC.
4. Wait 5 seconds. You should hear a second beep after initial power-on beep.
5. Move your throttle control on your transmitter to the CENTER position.
8. Wait another 5 seconds. You will he another beep.
7. Move your throttle BACK to FULL throttle and wait for another beep.
8. Move your throttle control back to the CENTER position. You will hear three beeps.
9. To turn Auto Ni-/Ni-MH ON[and Li-Po OFF] move throttle BACK to the
FULL throttle position.
10. To turn Auto Li-Po ON (and Ni-Cd/Ni-MH OFF) move the throttle DOWN to the
OFF throttle position.
11. Move your throttle control back to the CENTER position. You will hear two beeps.
12. To turn the brake ON, move the throttle BACK to the FULL throttle position.
13. To turn the brake OFF, move the throttle DOWN to the OFF throttle position.
14. Disconnect the battery. The brake and cutoff type are now programmed.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Program E-Flite 20 amp ESC

I don't know about the eflite speed controls that much. I know on my CC Phenix i have to set it manually. Read the instuctions.... They should help. It seems like it has and auto detection or the number of cells your running.(Guess you can't set the specific voltage you want it to cutt off at... )
Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes, you need to reprogram the ESC for cutoff voltages depending on the number of Cells you are using. Remember, 2 cell is 7.4 vols and 3 cell is 11.1 volt. You don't want to set the cutoff to say 6.4 volts (for a three cell) and then use a 2 cell 7.4 volt. You can see that after a short flying time your ESC will cur off the motor.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM

That speed controller is set to Auto LiPo cutoff as default. The Auto LiPo setting will automatically detect the number of cells and set the voltage cutoff accordingly. The only thing you can change is whether it is set for LiPo, or for Ni-Cd/MH, it automatically sets the specific cutoff depending on what it detects from there. There is no setting to change for 2 or 3 cell batteries.

If you are using a LiPo battery (2 or 3 cell) you don't need to change any settings. Also, there is no difference in voltage cutoff between 10A and 20A speed controls.