Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

mini alternator? for electric flight

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini alternator? for electric flight

would it be possible to make a mini alternator to keep the battery packs at a constant level before they run out of juice? Would be neat if you could fly longer than 15+ min above 3/4 throttle and have a more enjoyable flight than having to worry about throttle management. any thoughts to this?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Default RE: mini alternator? for electric flight

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808935 oh by the way did some research and here is a post about the topic
Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 PM

oh crap it's a gas heli so that prolly won't work
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Ya, that would be pretty cool. Hey, were do you live in houston?? I live south east on the water!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM

an alternator from an electric motor wouldnt help much, you could try solar sheeting.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the stuff Nobel prizes are made of
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM

If the motor could put out enough power to power the plane with enough left over to turn an alternator fast enough to charge the batteries faster than they were being discharged by the motor, you'd have established perpetual motion. Imagine that same technology, taken to extremes....Cars would run forever without fueling. energy prices would plummet as there would no longer be a need for any fuels, fossil or otherwise. A really cool idea, that science has been working on since the beginnings of science.....Not to discourage ya, though. Many things we thought were impossible a few years ago are commonplace , today. Keep dreaming. All innovation started from a dream.....Pat
Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 PM

here is a better idea, you make a small alternator that is mounted in the cowl or whever you get airflow and make it a wind generated alternator where the wind pushes the fan blades and thus generates electricity if you can make something small enough.

the other proplem you have is the electric magnetic fields that might interfere with the electric motor and could pose a problem.

any thoughts to this? you probably have to dive a lot to get the charge rate the same as discharge as someone mentioned.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM

oh I live opposite of you west katy area
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

here is a better idea, you make a small alternator that is mounted in the cowl or whever you get airflow and make it a wind generated alternator where the wind pushes the fan blades and thus generates electricity if you can make something small enough.

the other proplem you have is the electric magnetic fields that might interfere with the electric motor and could pose a problem.

any thoughts to this? you probably have to dive a lot to get the charge rate the same as discharge as someone mentioned.

Why screw around? Put a prop on the tail end of the plane tied to the alternator. Then as you fly at 60mph, the rear prop also turns this fast, and recharges the battery, letting you fly forever. [8D]

Oh, yea, forgot about the transmitter battery.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM

Oh, yea, forgot about the transmitter battery.

Actually I kinda like the propeller idea but you wouldn't have to do 60 mph as that might be hard to accomplish with some of the slower models. just my $0.02
There are transmitter li-po batteries that once you charge it it will last a full day of flying!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM

After thinking about it a little I thought, once the tail prop gets up to speed, just disconnect the battery and let the tail prop generator run the motor on the front!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM

I think that solar sheeting is the way to go, you could fly almost indefinately(if theres light)[link=http://www.siliconsolar.com/12-v-flexible-solar-panels.php]Check these out[/link]
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: alloutcustom

I think that solar sheeting is the way to go, you could fly almost indefinately(if theres light)[link=http://www.siliconsolar.com/12-v-flexible-solar-panels.php]Check these out[/link]

Anyways you would be flying in the sun most of the time I like the product link you gave me I might even consider it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM

what kind of connections would you use to connect the solar panels to your battery? Could anyone figure that out? I'm right now researching on this option and then in about two weeks I will be purchasing the plane.