Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hyperion Prop Drivers How to?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion Prop Drivers How to?

I have a Hyperion 4020-14 outrunner that I have fitted to my Hyperion Helios 63. I have used the Hyperion collet type prop driver. I would like to use the other driver that came with the mounting kit. It bolts onto the front of the motor and I think it would be a little bit more rigid.

My question is , How do you move the shaft in the motor so that the bolt on drive will fit. I have several AXI motors and they all come with the shaft pushed all the way back so the drive will bolt on the front.

Is it just a matter of pushing (with a press) the shaft back through the motor?.

It can be done (see first Photo)

The mounting set

Any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57786.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	909261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59351.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	909262  
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 AM

Default RE: Hyperion Prop Drivers How to?

You bolt the mount to the REAR of the motor... not the front.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Hi Joonorway,
I think I have figured it out. There is a different model motor that is set up for the bolt on prop driver.

The one I have is the 4020-B

but the one I need is the 4020

It comes with the shaft extending from the rear, (the part the wires come out from). The one i have has the shaft extending from the front, (the part that rotates).

I suppose I could push the shaft through, but I have ordered the other one just in case I stuff up the procedure.

4020 4020-B

The bolt on prop driver has three bolt holes as does the rotating end of the motor. The static end of the motor has four holes. So the prop driver can only bolt on one end.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52756.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	910300   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97286.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	910301  
Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 AM

OK Tom. I think we name the ends different The rotating part is what I call the rear.
Usually the motors are intended for front mounting, behind a firewall. Then it is mounted by the four holes. Then a collett is needed to fit the shaft.
When "backmounted" the cross is attached to these four holes, and the motor is attatched to the front of the firewall. Then the propeller follow the rotating can.
I have never had any vibration issues when the motor is "backmounted", but this have happened when frontmounted, ie the motor behind the firewall.

I see there are versions of Hyperion I have not had myself But I have removed/replaced shafts on some Hyperion motors. Problem is to get the setscrews of. And you have to use a GOOD umbraco tool which have perfect fit. Some people suggest heating the umbrako and then insert it to the hex. The heat could loosen the thread-lock making unscrewing easier.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:26 AM

Hi,

Yes we agree. I have ordered the other motor so I will use that one and install the bolt on prop driver on it.
Another reason to use the bolt on driver is that it makes the motor a little shorter (about 3mm) and it fits the Hyperion Helios 63 cowl better.

The Hyperion motor seems to be a quality motor. I am going to do the test flight of the Helios tomorrow. I have a 14x7 prop and 3300 5S lipo. I get about 8500 rpm on a fresh battery. Seems to have plenty of pull. I will see tomorrow.

Regards

Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 PM

In addition the bolt on system is better than the collets, less chance for slippery connection.
Happy flying

Jarle