Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help with ESC for two motors, and motors etc.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ESC for two motors, and motors etc.

I have a Guanli A-10 and want to upgrade it . I need brushless motors, batteries and a ESc or two. My question is how do i use one ESC for two motors? can i just spit out the 3 wires to make six Wires? and if I do that what else do ineed to consider? As far as upgades I am thinking about--Hi max brushless motors but not sure how big of a speed controller I need if i try to use just one. I am thinking 35 AMPS. Here are the motors i am considering from this site here.

Part No. Dia mm Length mm Weight g Shaft Dia Prop Size* ESC Rating Kv Rm Io Sale

HA2025-4200

Learn more 20 45 66 2mm 3x2-5x3 18 4200 .075 .75
$45.99
HA2025-5300
Learn more 20 45 66 2mm 3x2-4x3 25 5300 .044 1.40
$45.99

I'm a beginner so I could have specs for parts wrong. and i f I got 2 of those motors I was thinking about a lipo with this rating - 3 Cell 1320 mAh. I would love someone with some experience with ESC, Brushless motors and lipo batteries to comment and make recommendations. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Spawn
Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Help with ESC for two motors, and motors etc.

You CANNOT use 1 ESC for 2 brushless motors. The ESC relies on the back-emf from the motor to perform the timing functions and with 2 motors connected it will cause the ESC to attempt to red the average back-emf, forcing it to run the motors poorly, if at all.
Now, I'm sure some idiot is going to post their buddy has done it, and only occasionally does only one motor start, or run backwards, but you sound like you want the facts.
Read the "Brushless Multi-motor Power Systems" article here: http://www.castlecreations.com/media...03-Mar2006.pdf
Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 AM

By far your best bet is to run an ESC for each motor. But ...

There are a surprising number of threads where people describe running two motors on one ESC. But the problems are many and reliability poor. I've read threads where two people buy the same motors and the same ESC. One person can run two motors on the ESC while the second person never gets it to work and fries the ESC, a motor, or both. I think you have to be very lucky and end up with a pair of precisely matched motors.

Interestingly, Kontronik sells a combo package consisting of two brushless motors and one ESC. It's called the Twin Drive, and it's expensive. How do they make it work reliably enough to sell such a package? I have no idea!

- Jeff
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Thank for the replys , sounds like i will go with two ESC just to be safe. I'd like someone that has a Guanli A-10 or GWS a-10 or just experience with Electric flight to describe a system of motors, ESC and batteries for the A-10 that will make it fly fast and hard. The stock equiptment sucks but it uses one ESC for both brushed motors. so that is why i originally asked the question.

Thanx