Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Wrong Motor Choice?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
encan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong Motor Choice?

Hi,

I have ordered venom V28 1925KV brushless motor (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHL2&P=7) for a %65 kaos plane that i am building from plans. It has 38 inches of wingspan and i have no idea about how heavy it will be. The wing is pretty thick.

I am not very familiar with electrics and I cant seem to find much information on this specific motor. But from what i read motors with high KV rating do not turn larger props. I am thinking to spin an 8x6 prop on this motor. Is this gonna gimme problems? Ä°f it will what you guys think aboout the lagest prop I can put?

Thank You in advance.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 AM
encan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wrong Motor Choice?

Dangg! I buy it for 69 bucks and now its only 25.59...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wrong Motor Choice?

In order to answer your question, you need to consider the plane's projected AUW (all-up weight), it's wing area, and the desired style of flight. In this case, you probably want high power-to-weight. You can easily consider these variables with the following calculator:

[link]http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/software/webocalc_0.9.0/webocalc.html[/link]

Plug in the variables that pertain to your plane as best you can and carefully study the resulting output. You will see many potential power configurations that might do the job for you. Especially note the amount of current required for the voltage you will run. This current requirement will largely determine your battery size, ESC current limits, and the motor size. (All of these are important contributers to AUW as well.) After you run through a few calculations, you should have a better idea if your motor is the right one.