Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Why did my brushless catch fire?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
brickhead179
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my brushless catch fire?

Hey i have a spitfire with a eflight 25 amp brushless esc, a random no name reciever, and a raiden crappy brushless motor. I hooked up the li-po, and the motor twitched for a while and only whined. The second attempt, i let the motor cool down because it got kinda hot, and charged the battery some more. The motor worked perfectly but it spun backwards for my prop, so it pushed not pulled. I then switched the polarity by switching the red and black wires on the motor. I thought the connections were bad when the motor still twicthed but it fixed itself so ikept running it. Then it suddenly whined, stopped, and startde to smoke really badly![X(] What happened and should i buy a new motor??
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: Why did my brushless catch fire?

I've heard of this happening when the battary is hooked up wrong. As far as the motor is concern, if you smoked it it's most likely toast. I would replace it. Smoke usually means something burn not just got hot.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Ahhh, the magic smoke... I've had only one motor that survived smoking and I never even fly with it cause it's brushed I've also smoked several different electronic thinks, my most recent being a JR S400 tx. The smoke is caused by the enamel coating on the magnet wiring in the motor getting so hot that it melts and/or burns, which creates the light grey wispy stuff. A piece of electronic equipment on FIRE on the other hand produces thicker dark greyish-black smoke that stinks horribly. You DO need to buy a new motor because now it's all just bare wiring inside with no insulation. Motors don't take kindly to running in that state. The bright side is that a decent B/L motor these days can be had for around $20 or less, which really helps.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Sounds to me like the motor was defective right out of the box.

If you apply power, and the motor doesn't turn, you have a short circuit. It'll burn out, which is exactly what happened here.

You definitely want to replace the motor.