Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Phoenix Tucano conversion glow to electric

Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
andremelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Tucano conversion glow to electric

Hello

I need your help. I have purchased this tucano model by Phoenix Model.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXRLR6&P=K
As you can see, Tucano has a very beatiful design and it is a brazilian air force trainer plane.

Originally, Tucano model is suggested to be glow powered .46. But I am considerating a eletric conversion. For this, I took Great Planes Cherokee GP/EP ARF 60" and Revolver 40 Low Wing Sport EP/GP ARF/Motor/ESC Combo as a baseline.

In order to implement electic conversion I intend to purchase this great planes components:

Great Planes Rimfire 42-50-800 Out-Runner Brussless motor
Great Planes Silver Series 60A Brushless ESC High Volt
Great Planes Brushless Motor Mount Medium Motors

Propeller
APC 10x5 Thin Electric Propeller or
APC 11x7 Thin Electric Propeller

Battery Lipo
FlightPower LiPo 18.5V 4270mAh Evo Lite 5S Balance (weight 487g)

My doubt concerns on center of gravity adjustment. I am afraid this adjustment be more difficult or impossible due to weight of eletric components ( specially battery weight). I intend purchased the Great Planes C. G. Machine too.

Some questions:

1 )In order save money, could you verify if I could have any risk of insuccess in this conversion due to exceed weight or impossibility of center of gravity adjustment? The battery pack fits on fuel tank place.

2)With the FlightPower LiPo 18.5V 4270mAh Evo Lite 5S Balance and above motor configuration how long time of flight I could get?

3) some ideas about other motors ans electric components by other manufacturer

I thank very much for any help you can do.

Andre Melo
Brazil
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Tucano conversion glow to electric

Batteries are movable - to make sure your CG is correct you may simply have to place the battery in a position other than the designated "fuel tank" space.

With that pack if you are using, say, ~40A at cruise you will get about 6 minutes flight time.

This is another motor possibility: http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...ze-p-2315.html