Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

electric motor as generator?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
FLYBABY6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric motor as generator?

Anyone know how much power one could get if you spun an electric motor like you would an altinator? How could you measure the amps, and volts etc? Not smart on this so any help is alot
Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
DaveFlynn

Default RE: electric motor as generator?

Yes, they will generate 60% or so of what you drive them with. You'll need a high-speed 3 phase diode bridge to make it into D.C.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
FLYBABY6

ok, thanks. How do I put the bridge on? Use all 3 wires or ..? Again, I'm not friends with electricity.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yes, all three wires. This will be a "3 into 2" design.

You will need a total of 6 diodes to build the bridge. They will need to be sized large enough to handle the Amps being generated.

Connect two diodes to each of the three motor wires with the end of the diode body with the line on it AWAY from the motor.

Now each motor wire should have two diodes connected in a Y. Make sure there is no exposed wire.

Take the other end of one diode from each of the three wires, and connect them together.
Take the other ends of the remaining three diodes, and connect them together.

These two bundles of diodes will be your + and -. Which is which? You won't know until you fire up your new generator and measure with a voltmeter.

Spinning the motor faster will generate more voltage. You can connect this to any form of natural or man-made motive force to generate electricity. Water wheel, windmill, gas engine, even another electric motor (though I don't know why).
Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

the reason why its pointless to use a nother electric motor is what ever you put in is what you get out or less . its a law of physics dont ask me witch one
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, I do know why, I just forgot...

Many professional machine tools require three phase power, and many machinists have professional tools in their own shops for personal use and side jobs. Unless you live in an industrial park, you will only have single-phase power available to you. One of the devices used to convert single to three phase is a single phase motor driving a three phase motor. Inefficient, but effective.

In this application, you could drive the generator with another electric motor in a study of efficiency for a school project.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
DaveFlynn

Just get a big 3-phase motor and wire 2 of the wires to a switch to single-phase. Give it a spin then switch on, instant 3-phase. My friend runs his lathe this way. Used 10 HP motors are cheap.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DaveFlynn

Yes, they will generate 60% or so of what you drive them with. You'll need a high-speed 3 phase diode bridge to make it into D.C.
You only need that with a brushless motor. A brushed motor will give you DC out.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
FLYBABY6

Thanks for all the tips. I should have taken electronic classes when I was yunger.. But. Wanting this info to see just how much power I could make with an off-the -shelf RC motor. I know how to solder, but even that is crappy, but thats all I know about electronics stuff other than getting shocked! I understand the laws of physics, well don't realy, but have read them, and I know perpetual motion is "impossible". But am still looking for perpetual flight.. Solar pannels, generators, all should be able to get power to batteries, Just how much and for how long is my test.
I have a large platform in which to test when completed. It should handle the weights, and gear inside. Any tips would be helpfull. Also places online for how-to's on flexible solar panels for RC perfoses, and how to wire them all together.. Thanks for any help I can get.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

are you trying to do something like this but in a rc size
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNHD41MLMk
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
DaveFlynn

I once had a 100 inch WS glider with solar cells to keep the Rx battery up. With an old motorcycle battery powering the Tx and a comfortable lawn chair the plane would stay in the air until the wind stopped at sundown or I made a mistake and crashed.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
FLYBABY6

Thank you again. I'd just like to say that I've discused this on other posts and was bashed pretty hard. I didn't know about the laws of physics.. I thought it was a thing able to do easily. But I just need info on how to do these electronic assembly things so I can learn the hard way. I've been told to stop-don't even try-it wont work-ETC....... But The only reason I havent gotten into electric RC planes is because of the short flight times, and I know there has to be a better solution than flying for 15 min., then charging for 1-2 hours, them repeating. So Thanks in advance for help and please don't bash.. Thanks-Craig
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 PM
DaveFlynn

You often learn more from a failed experiment than for something that works, so jump in an try stuff. Just plan, think and don't get hurt.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

no bashing from be im all for it if we all bashed the invinters on the world we would still be walking insted of driveing or i would be typeing this reply and so on .

i never really liked eletice car ever since i got my first hpi rs4 sport . the runtime was only 10-15 min and charge time was 30 min and at that time nicds was 30-60 for a 12-1500 mah pack . since i went to lipos i have seen the light . i can fly my slow stick for about 15-20 min and charge time is like 30-45 . plus i have more then one pack and a 4 pack charger
Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Hmmm, Actually, I'd like to challenge "common knowledge". See, it's technically possible to get unlimited flight time from a plane; all you need is a really, really, really powerful source of electromagnetic waves. Since those waves are basically airborn electrical energy (well, not exactly) they can be turned into dynamic electricity at a receiver. This system is already going into small-scale use in an ingestable pill camera used by doctors. Now, let's say you want to get unlimited flight time for a small R/C model. All you need is an EM generator on the ground and a receiver in your small, small aircraft (Plantraco Butterfly etc.) to replace the batt. Plug it into an outlet and BAM! Instant endless flights. If I had several miles of magnet wire you can bet I'd at least attempt it.

Now some big manufacturer is gonna see this and steal my idea and in six months we'll see an all-day indoor flyer.... If I'm missing something please point it out
Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM
FLYBABY6

Sounds interesting. How would I regulate power from the generator so I don't overcharge the batteries? Saying that I made enough power to do so?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

boy that would be sweet if you could use the magnatic feild say comething off of high current electric line to do this .
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
FLYBABY6

that's being done already. There( when I was part of DIYDrones)was an article on a uav that hovered above high powered lines to steal power. not my thing though..