Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help programming ESC?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help programming ESC?

Hello,

I have the following equipment:

Turborix 120A ESC http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81706_120
Turborix Programmign Card http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81707_pc
X Power 3880 2868-8 Inrunner motor (for boat) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320260439811

For Radio Gear:

Team Associated TR203A mini Rx http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/384660.asp
Team Associated XP2 Tx (RC18MT) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASSOCIATED-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Links provided for reference.

With my last ESC (Mystery 60A) It was plug and play. I plugged it in, it beeped a few times and away I went. Not so with this unit...

I plug in the programming card and it just says read... Never changes even after 1/2 hour.

The instruction are in broken english and a piss poor photo copy. So between the both I cant figure this out. I kept playing with it and got it to work, but it was like full speed? Cant even do it again.

Ive been playing around with this unit for about 3 hours now with no luck. Ive searched around and I really cant find anything on this ESC.

Please note the Tx has a lot of option on it and Im not sure what they all do or where they should be set. Last run with the boat I discovered the dial by the trigger wasnt up all the way... WHich lead to about 1 minute of ballistic boating before the ESC died RIP :0

HELP!

I really want to get my boat in the water tomorrow! Supposed to snow Tuesday! yikes!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Basstronics

Default RE: Help programming ESC?

Come on somebody has to know?

Link even?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Basstronics

Hooray!

I found the manual for my transmitter, now Im better informed!

I reset everything to neutral, plugged in the whole deal (minus programming card).

For the future if anyone else has these issues:

Throttle Advance HI -> max setting
Throttle Advance LO -> low setting
Throttle Trim-> low setting

Turn tx on. Turn boat on. Motor starts the fast paced di-di-di noise. Pull trigger for max throttle. Motor makes chime like noise, then 3 beeps. After third beep quickly move throttle to opposite position. Motor makes one beep. HOLD THIS POSITION. Motor makes music noise. Then one beep.

Ready to fly or the water in my case!

Now to figure out the programming card. Im not sure how many poles my motor is (any way to tell?) so Im not sure if I need hard or soft timing?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: Basstronics
Now to figure out the programming card. Im not sure how many poles my motor is (any way to tell?) so Im not sure if I need hard or soft timing?
Count the number of coil bundles (or whatever the name for them is) around the spindle. That's your number of poles.

All the ESC instructions I've ever looked at are pretty cursory. Can be a pain. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Dr Kiwi

This is an inrunner so the pole count is the number of segments on the central magnetic core (the rotor).
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Basstronics

Thanks for the replies.

Im going to get out on the water tonight (if its not snowing) then im tearing down for the winter. Will count then.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Basstronics

Hi guys! Im back after some time away.

I have upgraded from my AM Team Associated XPS radio system to a 2.4 GH.z Hobby King model.

Now Im back to having trouble arming this ESC- Which stinks as Im ready to go play in the water in a few hours.

The previous radio had positions for throttle advance and trim. This new radio only has a trim feature.

I have tried it at neutral, advanced, retarded- forward and reverse. Seems like it wont operate properly at all.

I can get it to arm. However when Im not holding the trigger full reverse it starts to go. With the throttle reversed it does opposite. Once I let off full throttle it starts to go.

I cant run like this. I dont want to put the am system back in as I had reception issues in the one pond (trains, trucks and police station near by).

Please help.