Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC connection to receiver??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 AM
wrpsr1911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC connection to receiver??

Is it OK to have a 6" extension between the speed control and the receiver???-THANKSWOODIE
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESC connection to receiver??

Yes

Ryan
Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
CloudSkipper

I'm not 100% sure about the following, but I have had EMI problems with an ESC that had an extension. I didn't end up doing a complete trouble-shoot on it because I changed the RX to a 2.4 gig one (which is much more resistant to EMI).

First, does your existing wire from the ESC have a ferrite ring on it? Particularly if you're not using a 2.4 gig RX, you might need to do something like 1) add an additional ferrite ring to the extension wire or 2) move the existing ferrite ring from the ESC wire to the end half of the extension wire (closest to the RX).

I know that my EMI problems did relate to the effectiveness of the ferrite ring with an extension wire added (I ruled out placement of antenna having anything to do with it), but like I said I did not complete the trouble shooting (before changing my RX), so I'm not sure what exactly you should do with the arrangement of the ferrite ring if you end up with EMI from the extension wire, but it relates to the ferrite ring... I know that much. The same EMI-effected RX worked perfectly for months on a nitro plane, so it wasn't a bad RX.

You'll know you have EMI from your ESC wire if you see random twitchy movements from control surfaces and/or unsteady power from the motor. The random movements will only happen when you've got the throttle way up, so testing on the ground doesn't necessarily clear the plane of EMI issues.

So just a heads up.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
epiplayer3

time for another question?