Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

KMS 30A esc question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
440GTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMS 30A esc question

I have a KMS 30A Esc. I cannot find any info on this one.
It is for my E-Flite MiniShowTime
It has 3 HS 55's and 1 HS 56 with a E-Flite 480.
With TP 2200 V2 3S and 11 X 7 prop I am pulling 26 Amps. 275 W
I do not fully understand ESC's yet
So can I assume this speed control ( Should ) not give me any
problems with this set up ??

Thanks in advance
Fred..
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
tengler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMS 30A esc question

Hey there,
I have a gas Showtime 50; I love it. I would love to have the electric model you have of it.

Please read the posts at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974530 (esp. the link to Castle Creations) to judge whether you should use a UBEC to help keep your ESC cool, because, you, like me, are on the edge of getting too much heat with that size battery. I have heard that a UBEC will help the ESC cooler (/www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=112)

An ESC receives most of power from the battery almost all the time and it basically uses its circuitry to chop up this power into a stream to the motor at very fast intervals dictated by the throttle setting. The motor wants to go all out to its RPM rating because it is built that way, but the ESC is interrupting the stream of power with its electronic switches to achieve the desired RPMs or prop speed. Therefore, the ESC is getting the most of the amps that your battery has all the time, but the draw can even be higher when the ESC circuits are working hard to achieve the lower RPMS, thus if you have too high an amperage, it will start to overheat the circuits, even at half throttle. Your ESC should have a rating for burst amps, which tells you how far over its normal circuit load it can go for short bursts (about 10 or 15 secs,) but you would not want to have the ESC go into this range for a long period of time.

That is why Eflght recommends a 40 amp ESc for the Park 480 motor with 3 cell batteries, it has plenty of headroom for most 3 cell lipos out there, some of which give out more amps. You may be Ok with that ESC depending on how well it is built to take the heat, check the ESC for excessive heat after running it static and in flight. Good luck.