Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Please take a look!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM
mat_koski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please take a look!

If i wanted to run a brushed/brushless speed 400 motor on a plane weighing around 10-12 oz, how many Nimhd or Nicad cells should i use?

Should I go with nimhd or nicad?

What capacity of battery should I use for 15 min flights?

Thanks..
Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Please take a look!

Do the right think right now.. get a brushless motor and a speed controller to go with it and invest in lipo batteries. they are lighter give out more power and have a bunch of other advantages which i wont mention right now.... be warned if you're on a budget you might think that all this stuff is expensive but trust me.. buy it now.. even though it seems expensive it will be worth it in the long run. I hope someone else can elaborate on this point here because I don't have all the resources on hand to go into detail.. hopefully someone can help you better than i can.. but for my money.. brushless- and lipos be sure to learn much about them before you go into it though there are some thing you must learn in handling this stuff.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 PM
louisben36

Hi,
I second that.... invest in a brushless motor and ESC, they are maintenance free and much more efficient than brushed motors.
Also, Li-Po batteries are the way to go. Expensive, true, but you wont look back...
p.s you will need a dedicated charger to charge Li-Po batteries.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: mat_koski

If i wanted to run a brushed/brushless speed 400 motor on a plane weighing around 10-12 oz, how many Nimhd or Nicad cells should i use?

Should I go with nimhd or nicad?

What capacity of battery should I use for 15 min flights?

Thanks..
If you intend to stay with brushed motors, at least get Lipo batteries... you are throwing good money away getting NiMh (and a charger to suit) if you are going to go Lipo and brushless in the near future. For now you could get Lipo and a charger to suit... run your brushed motor 'til it dies....and the next step up to a brushless motor will be easy.

A geared Speed 400 shouldn't be asked to draw more than 8-10A on 2s Lipo (if you have a 7.2v nominal 400, you may get away with 3s Lipo and 8A max).

To get 15 minutes at 8A you would need around 2100mAh capacity.