Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Wire Gauge Question?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 AM
SuburbanSoarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire Gauge Question?

I am currently putting a brushless system in my foam glider (Easy Star). It turns out that the wiring from the speed controller is not long enough to reach the rear mounted motor. My question is this... can I use a thinner gauge wire for the extension? (about 3-4" in length) Would this be bad? I don't want to screw anything up since this part of the wiring will be partially unacessable after its installed. Not sure what the wire gauge size is for the motor and speed control but I'd say its about 1/8" thick while the extension wire is about 1/16" thick. I know I can wait til after the holiday and go down to the hobby store but I'm feening to get airborne ASAP! BTW... The motor is an Electrifly Ammo 28-35-3900. The speed controll is a Castle Thunderbird 54. (12c/3sl). Any info is aprreciated.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Wire Gauge Question?

That motor is going to be drawing a lot of amps (unless the motor is geared, I hope you have a prop no bigger than 4" on there otherwise you'll fry that motor) - 16ga would be the minimum I'd say. If your pack is only 12C it had better be a big one, since you might be drawing 50A with that high Kv motor [which is actually only rated for 22A/240W].

Just to give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for with a 3900Kv motor - an ARC 28-37-2 (3700Kv) with a 4.5x4.1 prop draws 41.60A/444W on 3s... I imagine your higher Kv motor will try to draw more [though I doubt your pack, unless it is 5000-6000mAh, can deliver that much].
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
SuburbanSoarer

Default RE: Wire Gauge Question?

Thanks Doctor. I ended up going with a thicker extension wire (12G). It seems to have done the trick. I've already got in 5 batteries so far... It climbs out of sight in seconds! So much more fun than the stock set-up.

Thanks again,

Major S. Knittle