Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor thrust estimation

Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 AM
kedarkulkarni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor thrust estimation

We are making a Autonomous flier (quad rotor based) which will carry Sensor system(LIDAR,INS etc) and a camera; and is capable of obstacle avoidance and precise hovering.
We have narrowed our search for a quad rotor flier to 'X-3D- Scientific' as our base model of which we will change motors,propellers and battery.
We plan to change the motors with Hacker A 20-22l outrunner and the standard propeller of 10*4.5 and also the battery with a 5000/6000 mah for higher flight time (about 10 mins).

Certain queries:
1. Will the flier with new configuration and total weight of 1433gm produce enough thrust (about 1.8kgs) ?
2.Is X-3d best one around?
3.Do we have better motors (producing more thrust ) ?
4. Is 6000 mAh correct estimation of the Battery type?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor thrust estimation

I don't know what sort of prop a 10x4.5 can be - there is a 10x5 APC E, and a 10x6 GWS HD which are very close in performance. A Hacker A20-22L on 3s gets you this with a 10x5 APC E:

10.6v, 13.85A, 147W, 7860rpm, 37.2mph, 821g, 28.91oz, 5.59g/W

Four of those will be drawing ~55A and getting you 3.28kg of thrust. At that current draw a 6000mAh pack would only get you 6.5 minutes, but I assume that since you have a considerable excess of thrust over weight at WOT you won't need full throttle all the time - you should get 10 minutes okay.