Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS Gearbox, how to mount ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
FlynFoam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Gearbox, how to mount ?

I need to mount a GWS gear box to a model that does not have a stick mount.
Anyone ever tried hot gluing the box to foam. Or, any thoughts on how to add a stick mount?[&:]

The model is my old and Sky Scooter.

Thanks ahead!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GWS Gearbox, how to mount ?

Eflite makes a outrunner stick mount part #EFLM1915

Your local hobby shop should have a couple hanging on the wall. They retail for about $4.95

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
FlynFoam

I have looked at this mount and am considering it as an alternative. It would require altering the front of the model and I really don't want to do that. I have been searching for a set screw type prop adapter that will fit a 1/8" shaft and let me use the GWS EP type props. Does anyone know of such. Or, I could use the APC slow flyer props but would need a quality prop adapter with a set screw.

I have tried the collet type adapters and they always spin loose. I tried roughing the shaft and using thread lock.
The model creates a lot of drag and usaully the prop spins off in flight. I could try slowing it down and flying it with a power system closer to what it was designed for but, who ever heard of such a thing! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Dr Kiwi

For your adapter get this Graupner from hobby-Lobby: GR605331 Prop Shaft Adapter for 3.2mm (1/8") Motor
Shaft ..... $ 5.60

If your collet adapters come loose something is wrong... if they are the correct size for the shaft and you crank 'em down with a socket wrench, they'll never come loose.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

melt a hole for the stick to go into with pc of wire. Spritz the hole and stick with some water, squirt a decent glob of Gorrilla glue or similar into the hole. Run some masking tape over the hole to contain a bit of the foaming action that will result and tape the stick in a way that gives you the alignment you want.

The gorrilla glue will hold the stick in place just fine.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM
FlynFoam

Dr Kiwi, Thanks for the adapter info. Will check it out tonight at the HL website. I still think the collet type was coming loose from all the drag created by the model. At the time I had an Axi 2212/26 & 8 cell AA Radio Shack w/ 9x6 SF. It didn't come loose every flight but often. Lost several adapters and props.

vicman, Thanks for your suggestion but I really dont want to alter the Scooter permanently. The stick would not be removable without some serious surgery.

I am thinking that since the new motor is a inrunner that I will mount it in a MP gearbox and use the set screw type adapter.
The gear could be hot glued to the foam like the original.