Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Rimfire Motor and ESC Question

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Mega311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rimfire Motor and ESC Question

I was wondering if a Rimfire brushless 35-36-1200kV brushless motor would be okay with a silver series 45A ESC.

Motor: Max. Constant Current: 45A
Max. Surge Current: 55A
Max. Constant Watts: 666W

ESC: Output Current: 45A continuous maximum
50A surge maximum
Max Output Power: 500 watts

I understand the motor can put out more watts than the ESC can sustain, but would this be okay for less than full throttle action? The reason I am asking is my LHS sold me these two and I am not sure.

Grrr.

Thanks for any response, I am going back tomorrow so the sooner the responses the better!

Mega
Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Rimfire Motor and ESC Question

Mega 311

I hope some one more crediable chimes in here, a expert I am not with the electrical stuff. I know that the recommendations I see from the net and from conversation with the engineer at Castle Creations, it is best to have some room on the controller. A 45 amp controller on a 45 amp motor motor is likely to quit in the air (shut off), usually at the worst time. Your setup will work, but how well is the question. I have never been able to get a fixed % from anyone as yet, saw 20% the other day as a decent guide. Accordingly your 45 amp motor should have a 54 amp controller as a good setup. I used to have cut off problems when first gettilng into electrics 6-7 years ago. After recommendations from the CC engineer as to oversizing the controller, no problems. Yes, you can re-arm the controller if it cuts out, but will you have enough time is the question. Mine usually went splat before I could react while flying 3D close down. All of my electrics (8) fly slightly warm to the toutch at the motor, controller and battery, a sign of a well matched and ballanced system. Be sure you have a decent watt meeter and check out your stuff before flying. One pitch or lingth in a prop can shut you down, always check your systems with a meeter. Hope this helps a little. ENJOY
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Rimfire Motor and ESC Question

I'll take a bet that that motor fries before it manages 45A continuous. The amp rating of the ESC has NOTHING to do with what the motor draws - the prop size and voltage applied determine that - just make sure you prop it to draw less than 45A and the ESC should be fine. Whether the motor survives even 40A is moot, in my opinion, but that's me!