Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Will receiver have power after motor stops?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
burnie66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will receiver have power after motor stops?

Been flying R/C (glow) for over 40 years, and recently got a Brio 10. It flies great and have had no problems with the 10 or so flights I've made.

However, I always land in what probably is a shorter period of time than necessary, because I have yet to find an answer to the following question:

When using BEC (built in to the ESC) to power the receiver/servos, and the batteries go "empty", will the receiver/servos still work, and how long?

I assume the ESC cut-off is at a point where the motor stops, but with still enough "genki" in the battery to power the receiver ... but since I know what "assume" stands for, I don't want to take a chance.

Thanks,

Burnie
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Will receiver have power after motor stops?

Hi Burnie -

In this case, your assumption is correct. When your battery reaches the LVC voltage, the ESC will cut (or pulse) power to the motor but leave the receiver and servos fully operational.

Still, it is not a great idea to routinely fly until the motor cuts off. It is harder on your batteries, and there might come a time when you'll need to abort a landing, and you will want full power available if that happens.

With many ESCs, momentarily throttling down to zero when LVC kicks in will restore motor power for a brief time. If you do that repeatedly, you are of course defeating the purpose of the LVC feature, which is designed to prevent over-discharging of your battery!

- Jeff
Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
burnie66

Thanks for your help, Jeff ... I just wanted to be sure.

Burnie
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Jeff said it all!

Many of us follow the "80%" rule. We charge at no more than 80% of C; plan continuous discharge for 80% of C; and try to use only 80% of C when flying. I guess this rule goes back to the early LiPo days, but it still seems to ensure longer battery life.
Walt
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
pilotpete2

So true,
Gentleman, set your timers
Pete