Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor/prop combo for 1.5 oz AEA Silver Dart?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM
j3_av8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/prop combo for 1.5 oz AEA Silver Dart?

I am a newbie to scratch building micro RC, so I am looking to the gurus out there to provide me with some guidance. I am building a 1/24 scale model of the AEA Silver Dart to celebrate 100 yrs of powered flight in Canada. The model is loosely based on the Trillium Balsa display kit. I am using a parkzone Vapor brick for for control but I do not know what motor, gearbox (if required) and prop is appropriate. Here are my limitations... AUW around 1.5 oz, ESC current limit 800 mA, max prop diameter is 4.25" I might be able to squeak in 4.5". Any recommendations for a readily available power system would be greatly appreciated. A photo of my progress thus far is attached.

Thanks,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72086.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1126169  
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Motor/prop combo for 1.5 oz AEA Silver Dart?

ORIGINAL: j3_av8r

I am a newbie to scratch building micro RC, so I am looking to the gurus out there to provide me with some guidance. I am building a 1/24 scale model of the AEA Silver Dart to celebrate 100 yrs of powered flight in Canada. The model is loosely based on the Trillium Balsa display kit. I am using a parkzone Vapor brick for for control but I do not know what motor, gearbox (if required) and prop is appropriate. Here are my limitations... AUW around 1.5 oz, ESC current limit 800 mA, max prop diameter is 4.25" I might be able to squeak in 4.5". Any recommendations for a readily available power system would be greatly appreciated. A photo of my progress thus far is attached.

Thanks,
Andy

http://www.skyhooks.ca/WES.htm#brushless

They have a range of 3.5g - 5.5g - 8.0g brushless motors.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
j3_av8r

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

http://www.skyhooks.ca/WES.htm#brushless

They have a range of 3.5g - 5.5g - 8.0g brushless motors.
Skyhooks have some neat stuff. With regrds to the brushless set-up, unfortunately I am stuck with a brushed motor with the PZ brick. I am too far down the road to switch systems now. Unless someone has come up with a brushless ESC that can be plugged into the brick's ESC?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Dr Kiwi

Most of the brushed Skyhooks motors require a special high switch rate ESC anyway... so you'd be no better off.