Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless Motor Durability

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
asmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Motor Durability

Hello,
I am putting away my electric cars and thinking about electric flight. I have never used brushless motors. I am accustomed to replacing brushes, springs, and the occasional cleaning of the armature. Can anyone tell me about how many runs can be had from a brushless motor before it has to be replaced? I know there are many factors that go into this but I am looking at averages. What about routine maintenance? I had to replace broken brush springs all the time on my brushed motors. Any help would be appreciated. From what I have read brushless motors are 20 to 40 percent more efficient than brushed motors but how much longer do they last? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Brushless Motor Durability

With brushless motors the only wear item is the bearings, I have a cheapy Essky 400XT on a Slow Stick, I have flown it countless hours over four years and it's like new.
Now, just like your brushed motors you can cook the windings and/or damaged the magnets by overamping.
Once you go brushless, you'll never look back[8D]
Good luck,
Pete
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
asmo

Thanks for the help. I kind of figured that would be the case. After I get rid of a few cedar trees on my property, I'll have about 4 acres of open area to fly. I'll probably start with a 3 channel plane......something slow.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Dr Kiwi

SlowStick or Easy Star??
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 PM
asmo

Maybe. I am still researching. The saga continues..........................