Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

scorpion S-3014-22 comp series.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scorpion S-3014-22 comp series.

Okay heres the problem,

At WOT my motor is "pulsing" "cutting out" "not working"[:@]. It runs up deasent and as soon as i get to just about wide open throttle it starts cutting out almost the same as gas engine running outta fuel.

This is my gear:

* [link=http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-718/Scorpion-3014-dsh-22-Brushless-Motor/Detail]Scorpion S-3014-22[/link]
*Eflight pro 40 amps ESC/BEC
*Mystery 2200mah 25C 3S Lipo
*APC 12x8E prop

Acording to this prop size chart i should be pulling 28.58 amps and making around 300 watts. Well now I think I've fried this motor . I look to the power of the people for advice!!! And yes ive tried several different lipo's and they have all been fully charged. Any advise or thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

[link=http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpion/Scorpion%203014-22%20Specs.htm]Prop size chart for Scorpion S-3014-22[/link]

Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: scorpion S-3014-22 comp series.

If you are sure the batteries are up to snuff, and you've measured the amp draw at no more than 28A, try a different ESC.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Well i havnt actually measured the amp draw, The amp figure i was refering to was off the chart provided. The ESC is brand new.

I spoke with Lucien f(the guy who made the chart) and im gona try a few things to get this solved. he told me there was no way that my setup ruined the motor, another person told me it could be the timing set in the esc. Ill keep everyone posted
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM
raggedman

I'm having the same problem with my brand new scorpion 2208-30 on a 3s 1500 mystery pack, 30a mystery ESC, and a gws 10*6 prop...motor runs up ok till a lil past half throttle and sort of chatters and dies....propped down to 9*6 and get slightly more throttle before it happens..but still not really useable...propped down to a 8*6 and it can sustain full throttle stick but pulses and sputters... and gets pretty darn hot......had originally thought it might be motor timing (speed control seems fine but cant program anything but cutoff voltage) but since the props are having some effect on it i wonder if these motors arent grossly overspecced? http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...30%20Specs.htm
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: raggedman

I'm having the same problem with my brand new scorpion 2208-30 on a 3s 1500 mystery pack, 30a mystery ESC, and a gws 10*6 prop...motor runs up ok till a lil past half throttle and sort of chatters and dies....propped down to 9*6 and get slightly more throttle before it happens..but still not really useable...propped down to a 8*6 and it can sustain full throttle stick but pulses and sputters... and gets pretty darn hot......had originally thought it might be motor timing (speed control seems fine but cant program anything but cutoff voltage) but since the props are having some effect on it i wonder if these motors arent grossly overspecced? http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...30%20Specs.htm

I can't speak from experience on your exact model Scorpion motor, but I have run a couple Scorpions in that size range with excellent results. My measurements of RPM and current are pretty much exactly what the charts predict, and the motors perform perfectly on the ground and in the air. I'm pretty dumb about mixing and matching components, so I have only used the Scorpion ESC's that were intended to go with my particular motors.

Dick

Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM
raggedman

ok so lucien says that a 10x6 is too big and i should use a 8x4 gws for 18 oz thrust...dont have an 8x4 gws so i cut down a 9x3.8 apc to 7.5x3.8 (since apc props are heavier i went a half inch smaller)..it will spin this prop ok and the plane is quite zippy but will not pull vertical...all in all not too shabby, BUT THE ONLY REASON I WANTED A NEW MOTOR WAS TO PULL VERTICAL!!...so i feel mislead by the spec charts....scorpion professes "real world" numbers in their charts but inwhat real world do we fly on 10.5 volts?....and I'm new to outrunners but do they all chatter and die as soon as they are overloaded?....if so how do people burn them up if they wont even run?....dont get me wrong i can tell this is a high quality motor, and lucien was right on top of responding to me so i think highly of both the product and the company as a whole....i just feel like someone really needs to standardize specs on these motors or something so people can choose the right motor without a bunch of expensive trial and error