Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Ewatt brushless motor advice

Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 AM
dunbar58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ewatt brushless motor advice

Hi guys, I'm down here in Australia and I'm getting back into hobby after 20+ years and moving to electrics. I have looked around and there seems to be a huge range of engines out there at all prices. I understand the concept of the Kv rating but obviously the prop will have an effect on current/amps which I am still trying to come to grips with. Before I go and buy a engine/esc/battery/prop combo I figure you guys have already sussed these motors out and was hoping someone can recommend to me if ewatt motors are any good and if so what setup - ewatt engine, esc (make/size?), battery (lipo size) and prop size would be recommended for a home-made epp 30-35 inch high wing trainer? regards
mark
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 AM
downunderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ewatt brushless motor advice

I don't know anything about the ewatt engines, but typically the weight of the plane and the performance that you want determines your wattage...

About 50 watts per pound is the minimum for it to be flyable, and it won't be very "interesting".

100 watts/pound for standard aerobatic flight - loops, rolls, quick ROG takeoffs, etc.

More than about 150 watts/pound or so for 3D/hovering/vertical acceleration/etc. - the more the better!

For a 36 inch foamie, depending upon how sturdily it's built, probably around 200 watts should be enough (maybe a 3S/11.1V lipo and 20-30 Amp ESC) for basic aerobatics, but more would give you better performance.

I like the turnigy and turnigy SK motors at hobbycity.com. A good example of one that might work - with something like an 8x6 or 9x4 prop is:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._1000Kv_/_240W

or maybe this one with a 10x6 or 10x7:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._1100Kv_/_345w

The turnigy plush ESC's at that site are also pretty good for a good price - I also got a programming card to make it easier to set them up.

Here's a 30 Amp Turnigy plush ESC:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

I've made several orders from here in Sydney, and never had issues (check the stock levels before you order, though - if something is out of stock it will hold up your whole order). I usually pay a bit extra for the EMS express shipping.

Good luck.

Edit - For batteries, 3S (11.1V) Lipos are pretty much the standard for basic parkflyers in that size range. Maybe 2200 mAh or so, depending upon how much flight time you want. Anything from about 1000 mAh to about 3000 mAh should work - if you go for one of the smaller ones, you should probably go with a higher C rating (like 30C) to allow the battery to supply current that you can draw with your motor/ESC (1000 mAh battery, 30C theoretically can supply 30 Amps, while a 2000 mAh only needs to be a 15C to theoretically supply the same current - IMO it's always best to give yourself some headroom so you're not pushing the battery to it's limit and lowering it's life).

If you're putting in an order at hobbycity, the Rhinos there are decent and cheap, but I think a little bit bulkier than compable other brands.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5C_Lipoly_Pack