Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

twin motor help

Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
sansouci01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin motor help

I am setting up a catalina with brushless motors. The problem is, one motor runs a little slower than the other. I've tried switching the esc's to the other motor but still the same problem. It does'nt matter what esc I use for what motor. One motor or the other always runs slower. (about 500rpms) The same problem occurs. I'm using one 11 volt lipo battery for both esc's Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: twin motor help

500 RPM is significant. Check all your connections. You may have to adjust the throttle volume on one of the escs if this is possible. If you have a computer radio you could put the escs on separate channels and use the radio to make the adjustment, then mix the two channels together.

I can't tell if you kept track of which motor and which esc was causing the difference. Knowing that would help.
Walt
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

I've had this problem twice before. Once was from using cheap motors. Both bought at the same time but they had significant performance differences and I crashed because of it. Another time was using two Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC's. They were of different vintage but were programmed identically with the Castle Link programmer. There was just enough difference in rpm to require constant rudder input. I got another ESC to have a matched pair and now have a well behaved twin. I also use solder joints rather than connectors at the ESC's. High resistance at a connector will cause an rpm loss. I've learned that twins take a little extra work to make sure things are just right but it's worth it when it all comes together.

Joe
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: sansouci01

I am setting up a catalina with brushless motors. The problem is, one motor runs a little slower than the other. I've tried switching the esc's to the other motor but still the same problem. It does'nt matter what esc I use for what motor. One motor or the other always runs slower. (about 500rpms) The same problem occurs. I'm using one 11 volt lipo battery for both esc's Any suggestions?
Motors differ in Kv.

Prettig weekend Ron
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SWAP the Propellors on the motors.

Yes, they are different sometimes. I fly 4 engines & usually 1 prop is + or minus a little. Juggle them for the closest setup.

Modelers get ALL the problems of a plane manufacturer.

If you are using 2 seperate batteries ?

1 may be lower voltage under different loads.

I always use 1 BIG battery for even running engines.