Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC just sputters...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
RogerWilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC just sputters...

I had a castle creations 25 that initially worked well but after 5 flights would start to "sputter" the motor back and forth real fast if the esc/motor were run (motor was himax 20325) and warmed up. I could flip the prop over while it was sputtering and the motor would start running. I felt like I was hand flipping an old cox motor to start it. Anyway, I put the esc on another generic brushless inrunner turnegy 2030 3500kv and an outrunner 2212 generic and both sputtered. BEC still worked well but now cant get it to start a motor even with hand flipping the prop.
Gave up on that esc and handed over to a friend who is going to hook it up to his computer usb and see the settings.

Ok, now I have a Towerpro mag 8 running that generic 2212 3500 kv outrunner motor fine until the plane starts accelerating to full speed then off. I chop throttle (because I wasn't giving but half throttle when accelerated to full speed) and it waits about 8 seconds and goes full speed for about 8 seconds then stops (because I have the throttle chopped) and does this several times before it dies all together. I land the trainer and I let the esc cool and switch batteries to test and now its sputtering too!!! I can't get the little outrunner to run at all even with flipping the prop. So I put the Mag 8 (25A esc) on a towerpro 2908 outrunner that it was designed for and it sputters but I can flip the prop and get it going until I chop throttle and it sputters again until I flip the prop.

What is going on...two esc's with 3 different motors acting similar. Is there a name for this phenomenon? Do I need to reprogram something?

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ESC just sputters...

Could you list Battery Volts / cells & type? Prop make P & D.

Wild guess is that the first bad motor is KILLING any ESC that is hooked up to it. Then your fried ESC proceeds to kill any motor hooked up to them.

Is that about how your problem goes?