Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Aeolianmotor 2825- KV5200 Brushless Motor Question

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Aeolianmotor 2825- KV5200 Brushless Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
kody11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeolianmotor 2825- KV5200 Brushless Motor Question

Hi, quick question. I am new to electrics and I bought one of these motors on ebay. It came with a 30amp ESC. I have tried several different props on this motor (10 x 4.7, 9x6, 5.5 x 4.5) all of them cause the motor and ESC to get extremely hot. I can run it at length without any prop and it stays cool. I am using a 11.1v 1500mah Lipo. I have it on a small homemade foamie... After trying to read up here, I am thinking this motor is only for a geared or ducted fan setup? Can't figure out why its getting so hot.... If this is the reason what is a good setup for this motor?

Thanks for any assistance for a newbie.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Aeolianmotor 2825- KV5200 Brushless Motor Question

ORIGINAL: kody11

Hi, quick question. I am new to electrics and I bought one of these motors on ebay. It came with a 30amp ESC. I have tried several different props on this motor (10 x 4.7, 9x6, 5.5 x 4.5) all of them cause the motor and ESC to get extremely hot. I can run it at length without any prop and it stays cool. I am using a 11.1v 1500mah Lipo. I have it on a small homemade foamie... After trying to read up here, I am thinking this motor is only for a geared or ducted fan setup? Can't figure out why its getting so hot.... If this is the reason what is a good setup for this motor?

Thanks for any assistance for a newbie.
Good heavens man! At 5200Kv that motor has GOT to be geared or used in a small ducted fan. There is no way it could spin even a 3" prop safely on 3s. If you want it to turn a 9-10" prop you'll need to gear it about 4:1 or lower. The first thing you really need is a Wattmeter of some sort so that you can determine what your motor is drawing, and then gear and prop it such that it does not draw more than its recommended constant current/watts limit.

It is definitely NOT the type of motor you want for a small home made foamie!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
kody11

Hey, thank you Dr. I have seen and read some of your posts on here and I really appreciate you taking time to respond..... I heard radio shack has a good meter. I will start there. I am a nitro man, but me and some buddies have been combating with some foamies over the winter. We all have the hacker a20-20l and I just thought I would try to find more zip.

Thank you again for the advice......
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Dr Kiwi

This is the type of meter you need: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Watt_Meter_75A