Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

pinion gear mods

Old 06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
mdross
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion gear mods

My friend recently showed me how smooth the motor/gear box combination was on his Crazy Max. I asked him how he did it and he told me that he filed on the pinion grear but would not divulge any more details.

Is there some trick to filing the pinion gear to generate less friction?

MDR
Old 06-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Electrified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion gear mods

A lot of the stock gearboxes are not designed or manufactured very acurately. Many have various amounts of gear mashing going on. You want gears to mesh not mash. Mashing means the peaks of the teeth are somewhat jamed into the valley between the teeth on the other gear in the system. Two ways to solve mashing. One, move the shafts slightly farther apart (not doable on most any gearbox). The other way is to "wear the gears". A good way to achieve this is to use automobile polishing compound. Some saftey glasses and a mess proof area. Coat the gears teeth with the polishing compound and run the motor at the highest rpm possible without just flinging the stuff off. Keep it out of the bearings too!

How long to wear the gears depends on what they are made of. Then clean them thoroughly and coat with a light oil. If done properly you will have a much more free turning gearbox (more power to the prop). Watch out using ESC brakes with loosened up gear boxes. Some are very abrupt and can damage the gears. Throttle up and down more slowly too with plastic gears. Most of the GWS gearboxes are already nice and loose. Look for boxes with ball bearing on the prop shaft. They can buy you more than 5%, more watts to the prop depending on shaft rpms.

Electrics Smell better than gas