Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushed car motors for airplane use?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
CBM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed car motors for airplane use?

Hey all, hope someone can help me with some info here. Anyone ever use car motors for aircraft? I have some 19 turn 540 car motors and would like to use one for direct drive, but no idea what ampdraw with what prop it will give. I have some 3s 2100mah 20c lipos I want to use as well, any thoughts or experience with these animals?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Brushed car motors for airplane use?

I won't beat around the bush; a 19 turn car motor direct drive is just about the worst possible airplane power system. It won't last long on a 3S pack, and won't put out much power on a 2S pack.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
CBM Racing

Believe me, I want the straight deal on questions, especially when it comes to electric combos. Any suggestion on car motor/prop/batteries combo using any of these options here-19 or 27 turn 540 motor, esc no issues up to 90 amps, I have either 3 cell lpios or 6-10 nimh4200mah, any prop size. If it is just not feasible, let me know, and also what problem would be if you can. Brushed motors leave me clueless, but I have them laying here, looking at me...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Dr Kiwi

The problem is the mention of direct drive - I have no clue what the Kv of a 19T motor is but its probably >3000Kv - so a direct drive prop might have to be 3" max before you hit the 20A limit (or whatever it is) for the motor. There is no reason at all why you can't use a correctly geared motor/prop for an aircraft.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM
CBM Racing

Thanks guys, good info. I'll scrap that idea for awhile though, I swap a himax 2025 4200 between a few planes, and I'm just tired of dealing with gearboxes. Was looking at direct drive applications to get away from them. Recently tried my first low kv outrunner, and am so impressed with the lack of gear noise and simplicity that I will most likely stick with this kind of drive system. Thanks for the input, really appreciate taking the time to answer questions. Man, I wish there was some sort of standardization for bl motors and their general naming .
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Chief Redelk

Since you are a car guy maybe you can help me..I just bought a Venom Fireball Hopped up Mini-LST/MIcro R54/RC 18MT brushed 370 motor. That is how it was advertised..Since I can't find specks for most of the brushed motors sold on the net I have no idea what I bought. What I wanted is a replacement brushed 370 size motor for my cheap no brand name gearbox that came on my TW Cessna 747 foam plane. The Venom motor does not come with a pinion installed but IF the shaft is the right size I hope to take one off and put it on the other. Do you know if a 370 is a 370 meaning equal physical size? What I am asking is , will any 370 fit a gear box that already had a 370 factory installed? The gear box I have is about a 4:1 gear ratio system. Most of the good ball bearing gear systems i have found are either lower or a bit higher. My prop is a 8 inch slow fly. Pitch unknown, maybe a 4 and I do not know what size motor and gear box to buy if I replace the entire crappy stock gear box. The original motor ran clockwise and I think that also may be a problem. Can anyone tell me if there is a standard size 370 brushed motor that works as a replacement for no name gearboxes. If a brushelss is the way to go I am not going to stop using my 8 AAA cell pack of Ni-Mh. From what I read a brushless direct drive is not much good on that small pack.. Any comments? Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Dr Kiwi

If it is a "brushed 370" it should be a standard size, with standard mounting holes. I would expect (though I could be wrong) that most "no-name" gearboxes made for 300/350/370 motors [they are pretty much all "Mabuchi 370" motors anyway] would be the correct size for your Venom 370. Graupner 300's (6v or 7.2v versions) and GWS 300/350's are all much the same motor. It'll be 2mm shaft and any GWS 300/350 gearbox will suit.

Rotation is no problem, just reverse the two wires where they are soldered on to the tabs at the back of the motor.

There seem to be a bunch of similar Venom motors - I can't see one labeled 18T, but whatever you have will work - you may need to play with gear ratios since I have no clue what the Kv of your motor is in relation to a bog-standard Mabuchi 370.
Attached Images