Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

E-flite park 480 problem

Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
wings 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite park 480 problem

hi all, i broke the shaft on the 480 during a bad landing. i have taken out all the screws that hold the shaft in and separeted the two motor halfs and the shaft absolutly will NOT come out. it seems to be glued in with epoxy or thread lock. i have tried everything to get it out and it will not budge [:@] i talked to my LHS and they said to heat it up with a propain torch to crack the glue. but im worryed that it will damage the magnets in the motor or deform the motor. the shaft has never been replaced before, it came glued in out of the box.

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks much -Wings
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: E-flite park 480 problem

Some guys have had success with soaking in acetone? Otherwise a drift and a vise, or a drill press.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I hammered mine out (carefully). I used a small hammer and a large nail to pound it ouf of its casing.
I drilled a hole on a 2 X 4 piece I had laying around. The hole is large enough for the shaft to fit in it. I just rested the casing on the 2 X 4 and hammered away until it came out.
I've done it with a Park 480 and a Park 450. It worked in both instances.

Hope this helps

Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STEADY downward pressure is the safest & BEST way to get the shaft moving. take the motor with the hole in some 2 x 4's to any mechanical shop. Beg them to press it out.

OFFER to buy coffee & doughnuts......That does work.

Rich

NO heat or hammers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Everyone knows why not to use them. Coffee if the force, doughnuts are the lubricant.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
wings 540

Looks like I had the same idea as cyclops. I took it to the school shop today and pressed it out with a drill press, when it's not turned on of course, and used a blunt steel rod the same diameter as the shaft to push it out. even got the motor put back together and just got a flight on my mini showtime in useing that motor

thanks to all that replyed!!

-wings