Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Average runtimes?

Old 06-13-2003, 12:51 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average runtimes?

A question,

1. How long should the GWS 300 motor/gearbox with a 10X8 prop run on a 350 mah 6 cell pack?

Both a friend, and myself have this plane, and his gets about 1.5 mins., mine runs about 3 mins.

I know something is wrong with his, and mine seems like it to short of a run time too.
I have had several GWS products, and this seems abnormal.

Also, his plane seems to shake badly, almost like the speed controller is switching on and of real fast. (Hitec 10 amp)

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jetts
Old 06-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Would that be the Hitec SP1010 or 1010SP out of the Sky Scooter Pro? That's not a very good speed controller; it has a low switching rate, and only 3-4 distinct throttle settings.

You're right about the speed controller switching on and off, but it's doing it very SLOWLY. Normal speed controllers switch on and off very quickly, so you don't notice it.

The GWS ICS300 is a good, inexpensive speed controller. It's also lighter.

As far as run times, three minutes on a 350mAh pack sounds about right. On a 350mAh battery, you have 21 Amp-minutes, and the motor draws 6-7 Amps. Doing the math, you have a run time of about 3 minutes at full throttle.

Here's a little secret to more run time and better power: Get a pack of 7 or 8 cells of 720mAh AAA NiMH from a place like http://www.eflightpacks.com. You won't have to run at full throttle all the time, and you'll have over twice the capacity at about the same weight.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:50 PM
jettstarblue

Alright, thanks, that was very informative.
As for the speed controller, I'm not sure which, it's my friends', and he got it from Hobby Horse-price 19.99. Yes it's big compared to the ones I have, (Great Planes 10 amp, E-Flite 15 amp and several small GWS 5 amp.

Next puzzle is this, he's only getting around 1 min, and I knew that was to short. We tried different speed control, and battery, and have determined that he got a bum motor, so, is there anything to do about the motor other than replace it? It's been broken in, and the "bearings", and gearbox lubed. Why would it run only a short time like this? (my motor will still get 3+ when it's in his gearbox, so it's not the gears dragging.)

Thanks in advance.

Jetts