Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Eflite extra 260 power problem?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
eddy82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite extra 260 power problem?

Hi I just built the eflight extra 260, I installed an eflight 480 engine 25 amp eflight esc and running 11.1 volt 2200 mah batteries with a 12 x 6 prop. I havent flown it yet because the power feels pretty weak. I checked the rpms and im only getting 550 rpms at full throttle. Does anyone have any suggestions or is that all im gona get? thanks, John.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM
BigTb17

Default RE: Eflite extra 260 power problem?

550 is WAY too low. Do you have a watt meter you can check amperage draw with? Nothing jumps out as being the definite cause. The ESC may be a bit small, but I don't know if that is the cause of the problem. Do you know that the battery is good? Is anything getting hot? The prop is a bit big, but I believe others have used that size without issue.

Which 480 is it (there are two different KV options)? 550 RPM probably wouldn't even fly the plane. What is the "C" rating of the battery (discharge rating)?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
eddy82

I just bought 2 brand new batteries, tried both of them. they are 20c rating. I dont have a watt meter to use either. eflight recommends a 12x6 prop. They do say to use a 40 amp esc and im using a 25 amp. I wonder if thats it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
BigTb17

Does the ESC get warm/hot when you try to run it? Do you have a smaller prop you can try and see if your RPM goes up with the lighter load? That ESC probably is a bit small for that motor with a 12x6 prop, but I would think 25Amps would be enough to turn more than 550 RPM. However, different speed controls do different things when overloaded. I don't know how that one would react, so it's hard to say for sure.

If you have different components to try (different battery, prop, ESC, etc.) you could try to narrow down the problem. Otherwise a watt meter can be really helpful. With a watt meter you can tell exactly how many amps you are pulling and what the voltage is doing.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM
eddy82

I appreciate it, im gona price some watt meters thank you
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
freeair

i have the same model but its fitted with a Scorpion 3008 -32 motor and matching 35 amp esc, lipo battery pack is a 25c / 2200 mah / 3 cell. i went with this combination as the E-Flight gear is more expensive but not as good as the Scorpion gear. you may want to lower your prop size down to 11 inch.