Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

burnt out motor

Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 AM
ian51291

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt out motor

Anyone out there tell if it is possible that if your motor burns out could it take the ESC with it,also can you test a motor with a meter to see if it still ok. my alfa skyhawk lost its power in fight,the servos still work off the ESC but the motor dosn't also it dont play the tune when you connect the battery
ian
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: burnt out motor

You can certainly fry an ESC when a motor burns up (I lost a PH45A that way!), but in your case since the servos work, I think its just a dead motor. Try a different motor on your ESC, then try your motor with a different ESC.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also -you can possibly ruin a motor when the ESC goes bonkers .
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
jdetray

ian -

The sounds that you hear when powering up the ESC actually come from the motor. The ESC uses the motor as a "speaker" to produce the sounds. So the absence of the "tune" could be caused by a dead motor.

- Jeff