Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

can a brushed moter/esc use lipo

Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 AM
brymez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a brushed moter/esc use lipo

I have a Lancair by great plain. The plain has a brushed motor with a esc. The battery that came with the setup is a 9.6 1800mah HI-MH. I would like to go with a 3 cell lipo but cannot find out anything about the esc or motor. The manual speaks nothing for these to parts or option. What should I be causes about if anything
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: can a brushed moter/esc use lipo

Of course you can.
But; I would guess your brushed motor is a typical 6-7,2V "thing". On 3S you propably need to put on a smaller propeller not to burn the brushes within some few flights. Best is to use a Wattmeter and make sure the prop used don`t cause current to exceed the motor ratings.
Second problem: the ESC propably don`t have a proper LVC to make sure the LiPoes don`t get destroyed.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 AM
BigTb17

Here is a tech note from Great Planes about using a Li-Po with that setup. [link=http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1165-addendum3.pdf]Lipo Use[/link]

That should tell you what you need to know.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
jooNorway

OK, since the weather is fantastic and I have flown my required hours today I did a quick check at Tower, who have great info on their web in addition to great service. Did I find anything??? Yes. Check out this appendix which tells what you should do, and which propeller to choose: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1165-addendum3.pdf

There is a LiPo-setting on your ESC
Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 PM
brymez

thanks to all. i did find it on tower hobbies and seen that it is a greeat planes plane. i even email tower to ask the same qestion but got no answer. and i did not find the manual on the speed controller.
thanks again
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Sailplane

brymez,

You got good advice from all of the above. Helping others is what it is all about...!

Thanks to all,

Ernie
Sailplane