Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Breaking of Radian Prop Blades

Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Sailplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking of Radian Prop Blades

Hi all,

Danger Alert...!!!
Be aware of stock Radian prop blades breaking off and flying outward

I've been reading in the forums about Radian prop blades breakng off. The stock prop blades tapper off at the blade tips and cause the tips to be quite flexable, they are so thin at the tips, that they will sometimes begain to flutter. However, the tips are not breaking off. at least mine are not The blades on my props are breaking off at the neck of the prop, very close to where the blades make the ~90 Degtee turn into the spinner thingy.

One thing that I have found out, is that my original stock blades have not broken off. Awhile back, I bought three sets of blades to use as spares. Two weeks ago I observed some tiny nicks on the TE of my otiginal stock blades that were still attaached to the spiner thingy on the Radian. I took them off and attached a pair of the brand new spares and I heasded out to the field to do some flying.

On my first launch, as the Radian left my hand, one of the brand new spare blades broke off. Well lets make this story short; I replaced the broken blade and it also broke off at lauanch. I kept replacing the broken blades and each time at launch the repacement blade would break. Finally, all of my spare blades were broken.

What to do? Well, I still had the original stock blades with the tiny, tiny fractures on the TE's of the blades and put them back on. WOW... at launch neither blade broke off. I continued to fly for a hour and a half without a blade breaking off.

This time I ordered only a single set of spare blades and I am now wating for them to arrive. I'm still flying with my original stock blades that came with the RTF kit. An interesting thing is that I was inspecting each new spare blade, but was not able to see any flaws at all.

Is there anybody out there that has had this problem? Please be very carefulwhen startng your motor ans launching

And a good evening to all,

Ernie
Sailplane
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Breaking of Radian Prop Blades

Why are you acquiring more of these potentially lethal weapons??? Change to a reputable brand which is safe!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
pilotpete2

The Radian is a great flying sailplane for the money, but this is one of the problems with RTF's, the manufacturer's have a tendency to cut corners on the the hardware. Check out replacement blades from Graupner or RFM (Freudenthaler), you won't have problems with folder blades of that quality
Pete
Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Sailplane

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

Why are you acquiring more of these potentially lethal weapons??? Change to a reputable brand which is safe!
Hi DR Kiwi,

I've had this particular Radian for 7 months and have had no problems of any kind (not even with the prop blades) during this time period. It has also had the same original stock prop since I purchased this ARF kit. I was just wanting to know if this was a wide area problem or a "Bad Batch" problem or both. I have other sailplanes (some are EP and some are "pure"). All of my EP birds have good quality props; and if at all possible, I want to avoid the mod that will be necessary to switch to another brand.

Thanks for your reply,
Sailplane
Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
flybaby4545

"Danger Alert...!!!
Be aware of stock Radian prop blades breaking off and flying outward

I've been reading in the forums about Radian prop blades breakng off. The stock prop blades tapper off at the blade tips and cause the tips to be quite flexable, they are so thin at the tips, that they will sometimes begain to flutter. However, the tips are not breaking off. at least mine are not The blades on my props are breaking off at the neck of the prop, very close to where the blades make the ~90 Degtee turn into the spinner thingy.

One thing that I have found out, is that my original stock blades have not broken off. Awhile back, I bought three sets of blades to use as spares. Two weeks ago I observed some tiny nicks on the TE of my otiginal stock blades that were still attaached to the spiner thingy on the Radian. I took them off and attached a pair of the brand new spares and I heasded out to the field to do some flying.

On my first launch, as the Radian left my hand, one of the brand new spare blades broke off. Well lets make this story short; I replaced the broken blade and it also broke off at lauanch. I kept replacing the broken blades and each time at launch the repacement blade would break. Finally, all of my spare blades were broken.

What to do? Well, I still had the original stock blades with the tiny, tiny fractures on the TE's of the blades and put them back on. WOW... at launch neither blade broke off. I continued to fly for a hour and a half without a blade breaking off.

This time I ordered only a single set of spare blades and I am now wating for them to arrive. I'm still flying with my original stock blades that came with the RTF kit. An interesting thing is that I was inspecting each new spare blade, but was not able to see any flaws at all.

Is there anybody out there that has had this problem? Please be very carefulwhen startng your motor ans launching

And a good evening to all,

Ernie
Sailplane "

I had the same problem after my orginal props broke and I purchesed two new replacement sets, both new sets came apart in the first few lanches and I will never use a set of the stock props again. Is Parkzone aware of this problem? I am going to call them Monday and ask why they would sell such dangerous props. I will also ask for a new Fuse as the broken props made my plane crash. This is really sad as the Radian is such a great plane. I have installed a set of Garupner 10 X 6 blades and not a single problem in 20 flights, so like Sailplane says be very very careful if you use the stock props.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Sailplane

ORIGINAL: flybaby4545

I had the same problem after my orginal props broke and I purchesed two new replacement sets, both new sets came apart in the first few lanches and I will never use a set of the stock props again. Is Parkzone aware of this problem? I am going to call them Monday and ask why they would sell such dangerous props. I will also ask for a new Fuse as the broken props made my plane crash. This is really sad as the Radian is such a great plane. I have installed a set of Garupner 10 X 6 blades and not a single problem in 20 flights, so like Sailplane says be very very careful if you use the stock props.

Hi all,

My original stock Radian prop finally broke a blade. I had the Radian on a test table checking its control throws, motor, etc., when I and others heard a very loud "cracking" sound. I had warned all not to sit/stand in the area of the rotational plane of the spinning prop. They did move back, but to my surprize, the blade flew back at an angle of ~ 45 degrees and missed the shoulder of a friend of a friend of mine by about 6". All heard the the loud cracking of the blade as it broke off, but none saw the flight path of the broken blade. The broken blade must have traveled at a high rate of speed because no one saw it nor did we find it. My friend just heard it fly past him and estimated it to have past his shoulder at a distance of 6". The force of that blade must have been awesome and I thanked God that it didn't hit any one...! The next day I purchased a pair of Graupner props and placed one pair on my Radian. So, flybaby4545, post whatever you hear from Parkzone on this thread, so that all can benefit from your question.

Thanks,
Sailplane
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I couldn't find just the blades. The whole Graupner assembly goes for $42! That's steep.
Any other sources?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
flybaby4545

I called HorrizonHobby this morning and they said they are not awear of any problem with the props. I think more people need to call them to let them know about any problems they maybe be having with the props. There number is: 1 877 504 0233. I am not an expert and can not say what is going on with the props but until the problem is addressed I for one have stopped uesing the stock props. Horrizion is a great company and I know they will get to the bottom of this
My plane still flys but has so much glue holding it togeather I have to put weight in the tail to get COG and the nose is over 1/4 inch shorter than is was and is kind of mushy. I could just buy a new bare fuse and move on but I hate to see this plane get a blackeye and people stop buying it. I still love this plane and will wait for Horrizion to determine if there is a problem and what the fix will be.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Sailplane

I called HorrizonHobby this morning and they said they are not awear of any problem with the props. I think more people need to call them to let them know about any problems they maybe be having with the props. There number is: 1 877 504 0233.

-
Hi all,
I had a pair of Graupner CAM folding prop blades 9 X 5" w/ 6 mm bases (aka yoke, base, neck, shoulder etc; at any rate, the opposite end of the blade tip) and experimented to seeif they could be connected to the stock Radian's spinner/yoke assembly. I found out that the bases of the Graupner blades fit into the Radian's yoke justright. Be aware that the bases of Graupner CAM folding bladescome in two sizes, 6 mm and 8 mm.If you try to use the Graupner blade with the 8 mm base, it will not fit into the Radian's yoke assembly.
Thepins in the Radian's yoke are a bit too large for the holes in the baseof the Graupner blades; therefore, this necessitates the enlargement of the pin holes at the bases of the Graupner blades. The holes can be enlarged by using a small drill press or by using a pin vise, as I did. Use several drill bits in the drilling process, small to larger, so that the proper alignment of the pin holes can be maintained.
After static testing, the Radian was launchedusing the new combination of the stock spinner/yoke and the Graupner CAM folding prop.It flew great...! No more flyingwith stock Radian folding blades...!
The 9 x 5 CAM folding prop was the only one that I had at the time. I have orderedtwo replacement 10 x 8's and I'll try one when they arrive. I think that they are better suited for the Radian. No more stock folding props for me. There are at least two threads over at RC Groups on the issue of the breaking stock Radian props.
I sent Horizon Hobby an email to day regarding this entire matter and asked them for a reply.
Sailplane

Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I called HorrizonHobby this morning and they said they are not awear of any problem with the props. I think more people need to call them to let them know about any problems they maybe be having with the props. There number is: 1 877 504 0233. I am not an expert and can not say what is going on with the props but until the problem is addressed I for one have stopped uesing the stock props. Horrizion is a great company and I know they will get to the bottom of this
My plane still flys but has so much glue holding it togeather I have to put weight in the tail to get COG and the nose is over 1/4 inch shorter than is was and is kind of mushy. I could just buy a new bare fuse and move on but I hate to see this plane get a blackeye and people stop buying it. I still love this plane and will wait for Horrizion to determine if there is a problem and what the fix will be.
Yesterday, the prop on my Radian broke on take off at around 100 feet from the ground. The out-of-balance condition caused the nose to tear off completely before I could stop the motor. The nose was hanging by the three wires from the motor and I was able to glide it in well since I still had control over the elevator and rudder. Later on located the canopy since it had fallen on a clean area in the field and was easy to see.

Horizon Hobby recommended I return the entire plane for evaluation which I did this morning. Hopefully, it will be replaced and I can then put a higher quality prop on it before flying it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53520.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1221062  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Pecanpatch

Sailplane , did you try out the 10 x 8 Graupner props?
I'm trying to figure out what to order..
Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Valve floater

Just got my new Radian 2 days ago. Today I had my first flight. After lightly hand launching at less than half throttle and about 20 feet out from me it made a loud snap sound. The back plate broke in half and parts flew off the plane. One of the blades flew back at me and the nose cone and the other blade fell to the ground. I landed It with no other damage. The blades are not broken nor the spinner. Just the back plate broke in half. This is crazy. Brand new out the box!!!