Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

help needed electric newbie

Old 06-18-2003, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed electric newbie

i am building a OS FX.25 plane but it's gonna take a while so i thought i'd scratch built something from retired parts for when my
reciever comes back from repair....it will probably have a KADET .10 GRAUPNER fuselage and wing (43 inch span)

I have both a magnum .10 (not so reliable anymore) and speed 600 8..4V + 7*1700mah battery pack.

wich will swing a 7-5(prop from .10 magnum) prop fastest
Or is a speed 600 better of with a 7-3 prop (i have one of those folding 7-3's. Are they any good????)

In general, what flight times can be achieved at full throttle (no speed controller, only oldskool RC/SWITCH) with a speed 600 and 8.4 1700 mah pack

Last question...do batteries deteriorate with old age EVEN if they're never really used much (about 15 charges). I have this speed 600 + battery combo from when i was 10 years.....THAT's 13 years ago...so the battery really is rather old.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:38 PM

i am using the 8.4 pack to power 2 servo's and the reciever.

Is it costumary to use a different 4.8 pack for sevo's and reciever or does that just make things worse wheight wise.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Direct drive Speed 600 motors powered by 7-cell car packs are not good for airplanes. They are very heavy for the power they can produce, and very inefficient.

You can add a gearbox and a larger propeller to make the system more efficient, but flight times will be short.

Yes, batteries do deteriorate over time. I doubt that battery of yours is any good now. You will probably need to replace it.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:57 PM

what gear ratio would logic and expereince dictate???

again, it's a small trainer 110 cm span...will be about 1.5 kg

flight duration is the most ipmortant....it will probably used primarely for teaching other people how to fly.

I know electic models are prone to some experimenting concerning right battery size...gear ratio etc....

something else...if speed 600's are so bad (heavy , not efficient) how come they are so popular...is the price the only plus.??????
Old 06-19-2003, 06:56 PM

okay...i gues i can retire these batteries...they charged properly to 8.4 for the whole pack so i think all cell's are still ok but when i hooked it up to the speed 600 it only turned fast the first 15 seconds (could one cell be causing this albeit being one initially charged to 1.2) then it gradualy faded to zero rpm in about 2.5 minutes. The pack is a 1.7 ah so it should atleast be 4 minutes, right?

suppose i buy a gearbox + proper prop + new batterie pack. What would it set me back, including say a 2000 mah ??? And what gear ratio should i use?

Do nimh's need a differnet charger? I currently only have a 8.4 1200 quickcharger
Old 07-06-2003, 12:09 AM

hey dude how are u making the plane ? using balsa wood and carving out the fuselage ?

How do u make planes guys, has anyone built one ?

if so id like to chat to the person on Msn messenger or in a chat room.

bye all