Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

motor chatters when throttle is advanced

Old 05-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Kwikfli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor chatters when throttle is advanced

My wife (bless her heart) got me an early fathers day present in the form of a Hobby Lobby F4U electric plane with a 2.4 radio system. Since today was so nice she told me to go ahead and fly it. After got everything put together when I plugged to battery in I got no beeps like I expected and the motor just chatters when throttle is advanced. As I'm new to electrics can anyone get me headed in the right direction?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: motor chatters when throttle is advanced

Lots of possibilities for that issue. 

First, I would check to be sure that your throttle is set up so that UP is MORE POWER. If it is reversed, the ESC won't arm and might just beep or do nothing at all.

Second check to be sure that your throttle arm is all of the way down when you turn the TX on...and AFTERWARDS..when you plug the plane's battery in. 

Third...it might just be a low battery, without enough juice to get things going.  One of my planes "chattered" yesterday. It was a loose connection that wouldn't let enough current  /  voltage flow to the motor. 

I'm a newbie, so there may be zillions of other possibilities, too. Rich

Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM
william money

make sure the  battery is charged, I suppose it is, and if the throttle trim is set to low the esc will not arm.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
william money

also make sure you dont have the rudder or elevator pluged into the esc channel 3 .
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try re binding and be sure throttle sub trim is in neutral and throttle in low motor. Also check that the ESC is plugged into throttle on RX.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 PM
speedy72vega

Does the motor turn freely by hand? Maybe something is binding it up.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
raggedman

sounds to me like an overloaded motor....does it work ok at the low end of the throttle stick and chatter as it's advanced?...put a smaller prop on it and see what happens... seems odd to me that these lil motors chatter since there are no moving parts touching other than the bearings... but it seems that this is what happens when the motor cant spin the prop and the motor starts to "slip" and once it "slips" then the timing of the control pulses is no longer correct and the motor tries to spin backwards and then it just gives up....ymmv but thats been my limited experience with this phenomenon