Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

esc/ motor

Old 06-01-2009, 04:16 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default esc/ motor

hi all.
another dumb questem.
does the amp rating on a motor need to be higher than the amp cont of the battery. thank you.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: esc/ motor

You always want your battery and esc to be able to handle more amps and voltage than your motor can demand. Otherwise you risk damage to the battery and/or esc by drawing too much current through the system.

Jeff

Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
hawkman-RCU

thanks jeff for the quick response.i think i got it know.
so your esc rating need's to be higher than your battery c rating. thanks again.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
speedy72vega

Hawkman, the battery C rating is the discharge rate. Here's an example. Say you are running a motor advertised at 30 amps max draw. You want your ESC to be at least 35 amps or better. The discharge rate tells you if the pack can handle that motor/ESC setup.

So......let's say you have an 11.1 volt LiPo, 1500ma, 20C discharge rate. The 20C means that battery can safely discharge at 20 times the advertised capacity. That 1500ma LiPo can safely discharge at 30 amps without damage. If you ran this battery with that motor/ESC setup, you would be pushing that battery to the max, not the best choice. A 2200ma 3S 20C can safely discharge at 44 amps, a better choice.

Here's how to figure the discharge rate: 2200ma= 2.2 amps (1000ma is 1 amp). 2.2 amps x 20C = 44 amps. This formula is the same with all LiPo's, so once you know the power reqirements of your motor/prop setup, you can figure what battery to run.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM
hawkman-RCU

hey speedy.
thanks for your response.i think i m getting it figured out now. i hope.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
jdetray

Another way to look at it is that boththe battery andthe ESC must be able to handle the current that the motor/prop will attempt to draw.

If the current rating of either the battery or the ESCis larger than the motor/prop requires, no harm will be done. An overly-large battery or ESC will weigh more (and may cost more) than an appropriately sized battery or ESC, but electrically, no harm will be done to the motor.

Note that I've referred to "motor/prop" because it is the combination of the motor and the prop that determine how much current will be drawn. A given motor will draw more current with a large prop than it will draw with a small prop.

- Jeff

Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
hawkman-RCU

hi jeff.
thank you very much for your response. i think i got it now.
now i just have to get all the advice from all the other members one page.

thank's to all of you.