Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

45mm heat sink for KB45-17XL 700kv motor

Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 PM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45mm heat sink for KB45-17XL 700kv motor

Has any found of supplier of 45mm heat sink to help coola KB45-17XL 700kv Brushless Inrunner motor?
I would rather add a heat sink than drill holes for cooling it, as suggested by others.
Lastly, I purchased this motor back in November 2008 and eight months later still do not see any instruction manual or other information posted here at Hobby City/King. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this motor to contact?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
changeup

Default RE: 45mm heat sink for KB45-17XL 700kv motor

That is part of the problem with Hobby City. Service is also questionable........#[email protected]^%$. If you can work out some minor issues to the problems, than it's actually not as bad of a deal as a lot of people may think. You just have to know a bit more than the average dude sometimes to manipulate and change things around. Also, knowing how to use some of your basic tools like a multimeter, knowing the quality of wires and wrap on the stator, magnets, etc. There's some pretty inexpensive stuff available on their website that appears to be of decent quality. You just have to know what the limits are..........most of what we're all getting all comes from the same place anyway. If not, you'll notice a ridiculously higher price tag. I'm not knocking their product, I'm just saying the prices are for the few. Many people also go for a name and appear to enjoy spending money. The motor you bought is actually pretty decent from what I heard. Check this site out on RCUniverse. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674991) . This guy has done a lot of testing on most of Hobby City's or United Hobbies' big blue motors and there large fans. The results were pretty darn good considering the price for everthing. Figuring out how to keep them cooooooool is one of the biggest issues. They were supposedly in the process of making a lower KV motor.

Frankly, I think buying a Neu motor with a TF4000 is an absolute waiste of money. Sure, it's it's great stuff, but 99 percent of us can't afford it or just are not going to pay $2000.00 for a motor, fan, and battery setup. The fun is gone at that point. I understand the whole CNC machinery as well because I've been doing it for nearly 9 year. I've built them from scratch and made a lot of parts with them. I look at a project and figure the time, value, etc. and if you have to screw people to make a profit, it's usually best not to do it. So I build stuff for myself and friends. The exorbitant costs messes up the whole hobby gig............. I mean, if your crash or even hard land your jet or fry something with your expensive setup (and it happens all the time), you basically have to mortgage your house! That's not fun anymore. I've a bunch of cheaper motors that have been tweeked and more than received my money's worth. I've also had a great deal of fun with them. I also get bored quickly and want to make bigger, better and faster jets. The only way of doing this is by buying your lesser expensive parts (to a point). Even if Hobby City stuff lasted you 6 months to a year, you would have easily gotten your money's worth. Usually by then, you want to change out 1/2 of your original setup anyway!! Many times, having 2 - 3 of the "blue motors" Hobby City sells is still a better deal than buying the expensive stuff. Just use common sense.
Anyway, check out that website above and check out how this dude vented the motor. It's just my 2 cents.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 PM
bdelmonte

I have seen that posting before, thanks.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM
technerd329

I dont know if you have already found a solution but thereis a 45mm heat sink from Advanced Thermal Solutions the partnumber isATS-51450K-C2-R0 and you can order it from their website, www.qats.com, or through digi-key's catalogat www.digi-key.comwhich might be easier. I've used ATS' heat sinks before and they worked great...a little pricy but definitely worth it because the performance is so great! Hope this helps!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
bdelmonte

I checked the web site that you provided. It looks like a square, rather than desired circular tube shape.

Do you have pictures to show how this was attached to the motor?

maxiFLOW™ Heat Sink with maxiGRIP™Clip Attachment for Low Profile Components
ATS-51450K-C2-R0
maxiFLOW™ design features a low profile, spread fin array that maximizes surface area for more effective convection (air) cooling
maxiGRIP™ attachment applies steady, even pressure to the component and does not require holes in the PCB
Designed for low material profile components from 1.5 to 2.99mm